Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 09:43 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Muggiest and warmest week of the year. Dewpoints in the low 70s. Temps in the 80s.
Since the sun wasn't out I decided to pull some weeds. Overdue and taking over!

All I did was the Onion area, Bell and Eggplant and a little around the pots.

Drenched with sweat in 10 minutes. I was done.

Cardboard can only hold back so much until it begins to deteriorate and weeds overgrow on top of it.

Annoying

Can't win. I'm just gonna call this my garden of weeds

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 10:16 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,099 times
Is that Purslane mixed in with a bunch of other weeds? If so good luck on trying to get rid of that stuff. Evil, evil weed!

Old 07-15-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Is that Purslane mixed in with a bunch of other weeds? If so good luck on trying to get rid of that stuff. Evil, evil weed!
You just taught me something. Im not good with weed names so I googled it. Apparently its edible?! I wouldnt try it.

That weed is the easiest to pull up because of its thick stems. Plus my soil was moist anyway.

Thanks for the name. Just like I learned, we need to pull weeds before they go to seed.

Purslane - Weed It or Eat It? - The Homeowners Column - University of Illinois Extension serving Champaign, Ford, Iroquois and Vermilion Counties

Quote:
Seeds of purslane have been known to stay viable for 40 years in the soil. You may find that fact either depressing or exciting.

If you are trying to control purslane the number one rule is don't let it go to seed. About three weeks after you notice seedlings, the flowers and seeds will be produced. Also plants or plant pieces that are uprooted but not removed can root back into the soil. Again depressing or exciting. Running a tiller through purslane is called purslane multiplication.

Purslane grows just about anywhere from fertile garden soil to the poorest arid soils. A rock driveway is nirvana to purslane. It's succulent characteristic makes it very drought tolerant. Purslane prefers the fine textured soils of seedbeds as in vegetable gardens or open soil areas in paths. It doesn't germinate well when seeds are more than 1/2 inch deep. Tilling brings seeds to the surface where they quickly germinate. Mulching will help to control purslane. Purslane seeds germinate best with soil temperatures of 90 degrees so mulching may again help to control it. Since it germinates in high soil temperatures also means it doesn't appear until June when preemergent herbicides may have lost their effectiveness.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:45 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,099 times
I've been dealing with it for many years. Don't turn your back on it. :-) You may think it's easy to pull, but if just one tiny piece is left behind it will be back in no time. I have a four foot by 100 foot bed in my front yard that has seven ornamental pear trees in it. Every year the entire bed is filled with that weed. The bed is hard packed, so pulling them is not an option. I normally weed wack them every other day, then blow all the stuff in the road so I can sweep it up for disposal. It's a battle I'm sure to never win.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:47 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
Purslane has nothing on mugworts. They are weed on steriods. You can't get rid of it. You can only (hope) to contain it. Along with grass, I hate, hate, hate them.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:09 AM

July 16, 2016

Lots of peppers on the plants now. Soon to be turning colors. Amazing what hot, dry, muggy weather does for peppers.

Can't wait till they are ready

Bell Peppers doing great

Black or Purple Bell Peppers. I forget. It was with a multi color packet.

Eggplant update... Well, the good news is, they aren't dead. LOL Bad news is, nothing fruiting yet. No flowers either. Ugh

Cucumbers same as peppers.. Loving the hot days. Lots of cukes but still small.

Only thing is... No Bumble Bees around at all. All I see are a bunch of these honey bees.

Tomatoes..... they're there. Waiting for them to ripen up now. Hot days aren't helping. I see 1 little one starting.

My neighbor decides to put a feeder on a tree at our border last week, near my garden. Most of the time Sparrows are on here and I seen more around my garden area now.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:00 AM

Just picked a Sivri Barb pepper off the plant because I saw the beginning of a possible hole forming. Not sure what its from but I cut it off and the rest was good but waaay too hot. I didn't think would be hot being this green still. It was on the plant a while though

The seed name given to me was "Sivri Barb" but I cant find it online. I found this which is very close.

Also, here's an Awesome site I came across: List of many Hot Peppers

Old 07-21-2016, 04:29 PM

Harvest today. Don't ask about the cukes

Ugh... LARGE PHOTO HEADS UP. Imgur not resizing for some reason. Sorry

Old 07-25-2016, 06:15 AM

July 25, 2016.

Onions finally ready, except the yellows can stay a bit longer.

My harvest this morning. Scraps go into the compost pile

Closer look

Old 07-25-2016, 08:24 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,967 times
Nice harvest, Cam! Your cukes and red onions are gorgeous!!! My cucumber and melon plants look okay, but they aren't producing much this season. I think it's been just a hair too hot - if I can keep the powdery mildew at bay until mid-August, hopefully it will cool enough to get them to set fruit later than usual..

Keep the photos coming - your garden and resultant produce are beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden