U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2016, 03:31 PM

74,052 posts, read 57,425,808 times

Advertisements

May 20, 2016

Tomato time

No Rhyme of Reason. Just put them in. But I do make sure if I have 2 of same variety they go next to each other. Just easier to know when I harvest them whats what even though labels are below.

Wish I had more space! Let cram them in.

The roots.

Brandy Boy on left has better root system than the Early Treat on right. But still, looking very white and healthy. Still had another weeks worth of room in there.

Plant too tall? Soil not a foot deep? No problem. Trench them in. Lay it on its side and gently push stem up and push dirt against it. Make it straight. Perfectly fine. Take all bottom leaves off!

Give a little drink and now sit back and wait.

One more.. I didn't measure... A little close for my liking but what can I do. I wanted more Onions and other stuff.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 10:54 PM

28,459 posts, read 27,242,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I used to have issues with that. Was very frustrating. That and Blight. I still battle blight but that's normal.

I think the organic compost soil helped with the BER, plus crushed Egg shells.

Try getting Lobster compost (expensive). Need calcium underneath which should help. Save all eggshells and next year either till them in or put into the hole where the plant is going
Even when I haven't had a compost pile, I've saved coffee grounds, tea leaves and egg shells. One handful of the magic mix goes in every pot. Not sure if it helps, but it doesn't hurt.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
You have more patience than me lol. I put everything out last month, my peppers even experienced freezing temperatures, but they're mature, not sure if that makes a difference.

Do tomatoes become stunted if conditions aren't perfect? I haven't planted any yet, not entirely sure if I will.
No, if the tomato lives, it'll start growing like crazy when it gets hot. They're almost weeds.

You must be the pepper whisperer. I've never had any luck with bell peppers. Hot peppers have never been a problem, but I never thrown them out in the cold.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
No, if the tomato lives, it'll start growing like crazy when it gets hot. They're almost weeds.
He asked if they get stunted. Meaning slow the growth down. Of course they do when its too cold or cloudy. And of course they always start again when its warm.

They wont die but they will get stunted. 40s would do it for sure as daytime highs, not 50s as much. 40s would stunt them more and we didn't have any days like that so he'll be fine. We came close at the beginning of the month though.

Don't forget, it's not just the air temp....soil temp matters too.

Ground vs cup soil big difference.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
He asked if they get stunted. Meaning slow the growth down. Of course they do when its too cold or cloudy. And of course they always start again when its warm.

They wont die but they will get stunted. 40s would do it for sure as daytime highs, not 50s as much. 40s would stunt them more and we didn't have any days like that so he'll be fine. We came close at the beginning of the month though.

Don't forget, it's not just the air temp....soil temp matters too.

Ground vs cup soil big difference.
Well, yes, ground vs cup/pot soil. I never thought of the tomatoes as being stunted. More like not doing anything.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:31 AM

A steady drizzle past few hours. Was needed. Some hot days coming up Thursday through Sunday.

I haven't hit 80 yet all year though. Crazy to say. It's 52° this morning so its chilly for end of May.

May 22, 2016

Potatoes look amazingly healthy! I didn't add anything other than fresh homemade compost last Fall.

Close up

Fava Beans doing real well, Broccoli Rabe growing, Cauliflower doing nothing. I assume because its been cloudy and cool. Lets see how they look next week during the heat surge of 80s

Old 05-23-2016, 06:06 AM

14,597 posts, read 20,405,054 times
whoever mentioned egg shells and coffee grounds also add chopped up banana peels to that and watch your plants take off . I have a dear friend who has 8 ft tall rose bushes and she uses this all the time and swears by it . She also uses it near her tomatoe plants by digging a small hole and dumping all together in said hole and she has the best tasting tomatoes in the universe .

Old 05-23-2016, 06:08 AM

5,626 posts, read 5,619,325 times
Ive heard of eggs and coffee!

and my strawberry still isnt doing anything!! Youre doing great!! Wish we could all come over for a feast!

Old 05-23-2016, 01:50 PM

May 23, 2016

Beautiful sunny warm day. 70s.

Decided to thin out the Broccoli Rabe.

I Always feels like its a waste but you should do it to ensure optimum growth. I read they love nitrogen so why have too many of them fight for it in the same spot?

2nd row is the Broccoli Rabe. See how they are bunched up at the top? Too close.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:33 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,363,302 times
Everything looks so gorgeous and happy in all that sunshine, Cam!

I got my garden planted this past weekend, but have not had time to do an update! It looks good, but I covered it in shade cloth to protect against severe storms anticipate this week, so it's kind of hard to see..

So happy it's this time of year again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden