Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 10:07 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

April 7, 2016:

Look what decides to come up 4 weeks later.

Few Pepper seedlings emerged. I almost emptied all the cells. Must of not been hot enough OR like I said, they have a timer on them. They don't come up in March. Strange!

Tomatoes doing good

2nd batch of tomatoes doing ok. Cauliflower looking good.

Still 4 weeks from being safe to transplant. And more snow this weekend. LOL Our "growing" season seems so short really only June, July, August, September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 05:27 AM

April 13, 2016

Quick update.

8 out of 12 days this month we had precip falling. Over 2 inches of rain. Only 1 full sunny day. Buds and Blooms are now normal time thanks to the cold snaps we got.

7 days below freezing outside already this month. Normal is 3 for entire month.

Florescent lights: 12hrs
Fan: 30 minutes

Room temp drops to mid 60s at night which I believe strengthens them up a bit as they don't grow as fast as they could.

Planted Sugar Snap Peas yesterday.
Kale, Spinach, Lettuce, Swiss Chard, Carrots, Fennel, Dill today.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:48 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,967 times
Lookin' good, Cam! Looks like we're about to trade weather with you - we're running well above normal so far in April, but this weekend is supposed to be stormy and nasty.

I don't run a fan on my tomatoes at all, but I do brush my hands over the tomato plants every morning and evening. Just doing that makes them much stronger than they otherwise would be. Basement consistently around 68º, also, which definitely helps slow their growth a little.

I know we talked briefly about topping pepper plants last season - do you ever do that or are you planning to? I had such amazing plants last season that I'll never not do it. It creates incredibly sturdy transplants (and adult plants later on) and I find they produce about two weeks earlier and far more prolifically. They start to transform literally overnight once you top them.

Anyway, everything is looking amazing and I'm looking forward to your garden's progression over the coming season!

Old 04-13-2016, 03:50 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Lookin' good, Cam! Looks like we're about to trade weather with you - we're running well above normal so far in April, but this weekend is supposed to be stormy and nasty.

I don't run a fan on my tomatoes at all, but I do brush my hands over the tomato plants every morning and evening. Just doing that makes them much stronger than they otherwise would be. Basement consistently around 68º, also, which definitely helps slow their growth a little.

I know we talked briefly about topping pepper plants last season - do you ever do that or are you planning to? I had such amazing plants last season that I'll never not do it. It creates incredibly sturdy transplants (and adult plants later on) and I find they produce about two weeks earlier and far more prolifically. They start to transform literally overnight once you top them.

Anyway, everything is looking amazing and I'm looking forward to your garden's progression over the coming season!

Okay Nick where are the pictures from your garden ? it is your turn now ....wink wink LOL .

Old 04-14-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post

Haven't tried topping them off. Last year didn't have enough to try it and our season is short for peppers so I'd hate to experiment on it but I should.

BTW .. "stormy" is an understatment.. See below..

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Okay Nick where are the pictures from your garden ? it is your turn now ....wink wink LOL .
I'm not sure he (or they) have anything outside yet considering this is coming. Highest amount will be in the mountains but its gonna get cold too for them. Low 30s, High 40s.

There's a thread on the accuweather forums for this storm. Not sure if I can link to that here but PM me & I'll give it to you.

Or NWS Boulder FB page has more info. https://www.facebook.com/NWSBoulder

Old 04-14-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I will have an update coming very soon..

Old 04-14-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Haven't tried topping them off. Last year didn't have enough to try it and our season is short for peppers so I'd hate to experiment on it but I should.

BTW .. "stormy" is an understatment.. See below..

I'm not sure he (or they) have anything outside yet considering this is coming. Highest amount will be in the mountains but its gonna get cold too for them. Low 30s, High 40s.

There's a thread on the accuweather forums for this storm. Not sure if I can link to that here but PM me & I'll give it to you.

Or NWS Boulder FB page has more info. https://www.facebook.com/NWSBoulder
I can understand the reservation with not topping peppers, but I highly recommend it. I started my seedlings in mid-late February and all 36 plants have been trying to produce flowers for several weeks. I pinch them off, of course, so the plants put energy into root growth and not fruiting. All you need to do is remove all growth above the 2nd set of true leaves, leaving 4 leaves on the plant. New growth (new main stems) will emerge from the junctions of the existing main stem and existing leaves almost immediately. The main stem also doubles or triples in thickness within a week or two. When I post my update this weekend, I will include some close-up photos so you can see what I'm talking about.

Cam, you're not kidding re stormy. If enough cold air sinks down to 5,000' and does so relatively early during this storm (Friday night, for example), we could be in for a historic April snowstorm. Storms of this magnitude are certainly not unheard of at higher elevations, but it will be very interesting to see what happens down here on the plains. Regardless, we're in for 2-4" of precipitation at a minimum if the model consensus maintains.

I actually have quite a few things going on outside based on an overall tranquil March (minus the 25" snowstorm we received late month) and very warm April to date. Though we're supposed to get quite a bit of snow this weekend, temperatures aren't supposed to drop below about 30º. Everything I have growing outside has seen temperatures down into the low 20s, so I am not worried. If I need to move anything, having them in containers makes it possible. I should be harvesting the first of my lettuces this weekend..

Old 04-17-2016, 06:14 AM

April 16, 2016

2 of my Garden Beds. Been ready for weeks now. Still a month away from planting.

What is in.

Potatoes
Onions
Garlic
Lettuce
Kale
Swiss Chard
Spinach
Carrots
Dill
Fennel
Fava Beans
Snap Peas

Not even any herbs. We keep dropping to mid 30s.

April 17, 2016

Guess what time it is.. Time to transfer the tomatoes in the cell trays into the cups

Old 04-17-2016, 10:23 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I didn't know you could plant dill this early. I always planted it when the tomatoes went in.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I didn't know you could plant dill this early. I always planted it when the tomatoes went in.
You shouldn't. I jumped the gun on that. Hoping it doesn't sprout too quick and then get damaged by a frost. We aren't getting hot days so hopefully it takes 3 weeks to sprout and then will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden