Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2016, 03:27 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,718 times

Advertisements

Absolutely beautiful cam. You have one heckuva green thumb all wrapped around the patience of a saint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 09:42 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Absolutely beautiful cam. You have one heckuva green thumb all wrapped around the patience of a saint.

Thanks! It's therapy. Relaxing to do since I hate Summer.

I can picture myself having one of those YouTube channels like Praxxus. Cool guy with awesome videos. Then again, I hate pictures and being on video. lol

BTW ... Weather plays a bigger role then my Green thumb. This May is horrible. Check out last year. In 11 days there is no way I'm looking like that. I had Peppers already??

May is such a crucial month to get things going and healthy. And last year came after the historic cold and snow February and March too.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:58 AM

List of the Tomatoes I grew:

Tasty Treat
Early Treat
Sweet 100 (cracks too much)
Supersweet 100 (less cracking)
Bush Cherry
Porterhouse
Steak Sandwich Hybrid
Brandy Boy
Campari
Farmstand Hybrid
Aces
Homestead
Roma
Cherokee Purple
Black Krim

List of the Hot Peppers I grew:

Gernika Sweet: 9
Silvri Barb Curly: 5
Serrano Purple: 5
Big Tai Hybrid: 4
Pico Di Mindavia: 2
Bala Sweet: 5
Jalapeno Goliath: 2
Dr Martin Carrot Red: 4
Small Cherry Pepper: 3
Texas Black: 1
Papacello Forte: 2
Unknown: 6

Total: 48

Old 05-19-2016, 12:55 PM

May 19, 2016:

Bell Peppers and Eggplants all transferred.

8 Bells and 8 Eggplants.

I watered with a can for now until they strengthen up. Last thing I want to do is damage them with a hose. Also notice the shade... I timed it so I transfer them when its shady. Less chance of stress for them. Root system looked good. Forgot to get a picture. Damn

All hot peppers are in their pots.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:16 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
It's a daring move. I'm not putting the tender plants outside until at least next week. For the time being, they'll be spending their nights in the dining room.

What size are those pots?

Old 05-20-2016, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's a daring move. I'm not putting the tender plants outside until at least next week. For the time being, they'll be spending their nights in the dining room.

What size are those pots?
I forget, where are you located again? (You don't have a general location on your header!!)

Usually mid May it's safe around here. Not daring. In fact it's late this year. I had the patience to wait and thankfully so since it's been one of the coldest Mays so far.

But they've been accustomed to the outside environment and even stayed out overnight so they were ready. Now it's up to mother nature to help.

80s next week! Just need these clouds to give us a break

Old 05-20-2016, 05:58 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
well I got hit with BER on one of mine and it is gone now . The others are doing great and I am blessed . The loss of one tomatoe plant is not going to kill me .Just all that baby and work gone down the tubes . Oh well that is part of growing these wonderful things called tomatoes right ? LOL have a fabulous day all .

Old 05-20-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well I got hit with BER on one of mine and it is gone now . The others are doing great and I am blessed . The loss of one tomatoe plant is not going to kill me .Just all that baby and work gone down the tubes . Oh well that is part of growing these wonderful things called tomatoes right ? LOL have a fabulous day all .
I used to have issues with that. Was very frustrating. That and Blight. I still battle blight but that's normal.

I think the organic compost soil helped with the BER, plus crushed Egg shells.

Try getting Lobster compost (expensive). Need calcium underneath which should help. Save all eggshells and next year either till them in or put into the hole where the plant is going

Old 05-20-2016, 10:25 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
You have more patience than me lol. I put everything out last month, my peppers even experienced freezing temperatures, but they're mature, not sure if that makes a difference.

Do tomatoes become stunted if conditions aren't perfect? I haven't planted any yet, not entirely sure if I will.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Do tomatoes become stunted if conditions aren't perfect? I haven't planted any yet, not entirely sure if I will.
Definitely. Like I always say though, they aren't going to necessarily die (unless its prolonged cold or hard freeze) but they wont be "as" healthy or grow as ones that waited. There's other variables involved so its hard to compare to someone else. Soil, watering, variety, ect.

Do a trial run next year. Put one in ground early, and see how it compares to the ones you waited on.

You'll be fine, cold is done. No more 30s at night or 50s during the day. Summer weather next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden