Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 04:21 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Thanks for sharing! The potatoes look delicious.
Thanks. Can't wait to eat them. Fried, Bake, Sauteed, Mashed. Whatever.

Just cleaned them all off with a rag and put into the basket. They will have to cure for 10 days before using or storing. Cool and Humid is best to cure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 10:57 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Wow! From looking at the first picture, I was going to guess 47. They're beautiful potatoes.

Cute little jail bird you've got there.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:01 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
what a great haul of potatoes cam . cute jailbird there . I got a buttload of tomatoes and more coming I am not at all disappointed in what I got . Now in august I have to start my lettuce for the fall and start thinking about what I want to grow this fall .

Old 07-03-2016, 12:39 PM

Sunday July 3, 2016 Update:

June 2016 ended up Top 10 driest and warmest.

Last time I had over 1/4" of rain was June 5th!

Last time I had over 1" of rain was May 30th.

So I've needed to water the garden a lot lately even though we didn't have any hot or 90s days.

Dew point has been amazingly dry (not humid at all!) so I've been grateful for that.

Lets start with a sad picture .... Garlic, even at my neighbors house did not grow this year. I waited till the stems started falling over but apparently the bulb wasn't growing. This was due to the Warm winter, cold Spring, and the late hard freeze and snow we had.

My Onions are doing well. Cant wait.

Bell Peppers doing good, got some flowers on them.
Eggplants just got some Miracle Grow food again. They are trying.

Snap Peas. Mmmm. They are good.

Cucumbers.. Slow. Behind last year.

Lucky Pepper Plant (not the one topped off). The rest have blooms or little peppers on them. Behind last year.

Tomatoes. Behind Last year but man they are looking healthy. No blight, beetles, or diseases yet.

Soon. Soon. Usually we don't pick ripe tomatoes till end of July anyway. Then 2 months later we're pulling everything up because its the end of season.

First time for Cabbage. I gave them some food today. Looking raggedy

Cauliflower.. I thought was a cool crop? lol

Radishes producing tall stems and flowering and seeding. I have to cut and compost before all the seeds fall down. Maybe will save some seeds.

I saw Butterflies on them.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:42 PM

Took the beans out of the Favas and Blanched them then ate the little green peas inside the pea... Actually liked them raw better. Maybe I should of added it into a soup or something instead.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:48 AM

Update:

After a Hot Humid week, Cucumbers and Peppers started taking off. Picked a couple of hot peppers. No Cukes yet. Lots of green tomatoes.

This mornings harvest. Unfortunately not the best looking Garlic I had but I was able to salvage a couple

Snap Peas and Garlic. Snap peas are pretty much done. 1st year with them, I love the taste but not worth the space and yields. String Beans are better

What I do with the scraps... Right in the compost pile which by the way is almost all broken down. I'll turn it one more time then distribute it in September

Old 07-09-2016, 06:05 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,718 times
Did you get any of the rain in the past couple of days. We got nothing to speak of. Also the humidity, and dew point levels were not all that extreme for us. This morning it was 61° @ 4:00 AM.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Did you get any of the rain in the past couple of days. We got nothing to speak of. Also the humidity, and dew point levels were not all that extreme for us. This morning it was 61° @ 4:00 AM.
The dewpoints WERE extreme on Thursday reaching 70s in the area.

I got 1/4" of rain the other day but missed yesterdays.

This was Thursday afternoon. Look at Long island! Dews were in the mid 70s. That's extreme and downright Oppressive. Luckily it was just 1-2 days worth

Old 07-09-2016, 06:57 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,718 times
Gotta say, it did not feel all that bad here, even tho those #'s say something completely different. Haven't had any reason to fire up the AC yet either.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Gotta say, it did not feel all that bad here, even tho those #'s say something completely different. Haven't had any reason to fire up the AC yet either.
Probably was the marine layer sea breeze or the fact that temps were only 80s there? No 90 yet for Islip this year.

But still, even with 80s and those dews, if you were outside it did feel "soupy". My AC has been on since May at night but was constantly running this past week from the heat and humidity.

When your candy gets sticky and your envelopes seal themselves, you know it got nasty outside. Lol

This morning is awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden