Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 02:42 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,385 times

Advertisements

I used Lesco products last year on my front lawn and had very good results. We had a ton of crabgrass that required a lot of work. This year I want to lay down a crabgrass preventer over my whole property which is about an acre. I'm gonna need 3 of the 50lb bags. If I go Lesco its gonna cost me $150.. If I go with this Tractor Supply brand I came across it'll only cost $90.

The Lesco is a 19-0-7
Tractor Supply is 16-0-6 (The brand is GroundWorks)

Anyone ever use the Tractor supply brand? At first the reviews online don't look great, but if you read them the bad ratings are because the product was "clumply" likely because it got wet. If I just buy a bag from in the store that isn't hard or full of clumps it sounds like this is the way to go to save some $.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 02:53 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
The numbers you present are just the level of fertilizer (nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium). What matters most for crabgass prevention is the herbicide that is included. Do you recall what each brand has?

Old 03-07-2016, 06:17 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,156,393 times
Personally I think you answered your own question as Lesco would be my recommendation. Tried-and-true.

The other product you mentioned contains barricade which is an excellent pre-emergent.

I would be concerned about the clumping issue as the one thing I love about the Lesco products is there particles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
I used Lesco products last year on my front lawn and had very good results. We had a ton of crabgrass that required a lot of work. This year I want to lay down a crabgrass preventer over my whole property which is about an acre. I'm gonna need 3 of the 50lb bags. If I go Lesco its gonna cost me $150.. If I go with this Tractor Supply brand I came across it'll only cost $90.

The Lesco is a 19-0-7
Tractor Supply is 16-0-6 (The brand is GroundWorks)

Anyone ever use the Tractor supply brand? At first the reviews online don't look great, but if you read them the bad ratings are because the product was "clumply" likely because it got wet. If I just buy a bag from in the store that isn't hard or full of clumps it sounds like this is the way to go to save some $.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:35 AM

I pulled the trigger and went with the Tractor Supply stuff. Our soil temps are around 39 degrees right now, but all this week is going to be high 60s and low 70s with night time temps staying at high 40s So I'm thinking by Thursday soil temps are gonna be in the 50s So i'm putting it all down tonight or tomorrow.

NJ Statewide Soil Temperatures | New Jersey Weather and Climate Network

Old 03-07-2016, 10:00 PM

I picked up the tractor supply brand and put it down tonight. Prob looked like an idiot with my headlamp on in the dark, but the next 7 days are gonna have highs from 63-77 and the night lows are looking like 48-58. Looks like lots of rain this weekend with the warm weather continuing into next week. Soil temps in my area right now are 44 degrees at almost midnight. I'm thinking tomorrow is gonna get soil temps in the 50s and with wed and thurs having highs of 77 degrees it'll likely be enough to wake up the crabgrass, so I felt tonight was the last chance to get it down.

I did have minor clumping, but only the size of a nickle or quarter. I don't think it impacted the flow rate. I went a little on the light side just cause I sprayed and thatched the whole lawn last year so there was no crabgrass going into the fall months.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:25 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
A lifetime of experience has demonstrated that "cheap" and "good" don't go together.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
A lifetime of experience has demonstrated that "cheap" and "good" don't go together.

Lesco is like $30 "Cheaper" than scotts and people rave about it. I'll give this a go for a season, if I'm not happy with it I'll switch back to Lesco product.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:42 AM

Put down the Groundworks, so far so good, not seeing any crabgrass though I do have a fair amount of dandelions popping up. I'm gonna walk around with my weed puller tonight to grab all the larger ones and spray any of the little ones I missed. I went light with the Groundworks, A whole bag should have done just the front of my house, I ended up doing the front, side, and a small portion of the back. I still ended up with 2 light scorch lines where I guess some of my passes slightly overlapped, I think the grass will be able to bounce back just fine, but I'd def suggest going light if you use this stuff. I'll update if any crabgrass starts showing, but so far so good. Great value if it continues to work.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:05 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
My experience says otherwise. Most of the cheaper products are manufactured by the same people that make the name brand stuff.

In *some* cases, the products are identical except for the label and price.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:01 AM

Almost no crabgrass (Knock on wood). I had one little spot next to my sidewalk with I just pulled out, and 2 small patches on the back half of my driveway which I just sprayed with a crabgrass killer. Otherwise the whole lawn looks great. I had a fair amount of dandelions and what I think are chickweeds, The dandelions I've just been walking the yard every night and pulling with a weed hound tool, then once a week I'll randomly walk the yard before sunset and spray and broad leaf weeds I missed, the lawn looks great overall. Just gotta get a spray for the chickweeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden