Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2016, 05:29 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times

Advertisements

I frequently see several lawn chemical application companies applying the chemicals (presumably glyphosate, liquid crab grass preventer and 2,4-d according to season) applying no matter the weather.

Ordinarily some of those chemicals are less effective if applied during rain or if the temperatures are below 50 degrees yet those guys are out spraying.

Are they just wasting money and chemicals applying when their schedule allows and not when it's most optimal for the application?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 02:39 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
... Are they just wasting money and chemicals applying when their schedule allows and not when it's most optimal for the application?
Yes.

Each type of herbicide works differently.

Depending on which herbicide you use and which plant to hope to kill, there will be a very specific 'time' to apply it for maximum efficiency.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:05 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
Are they just wasting money and chemicals applying when their schedule allows and not when it's most optimal for the application?
Yes. It's all about what works for their schedule and not what is optimal. Same is true of pest control companies. I stopped having my local pest control people treat my house for ants when they showed up on a January day when we were going to get a huge snowstorm (which we got). A. it was the dead of winter, and the darn ants aren't active in winter. B. whatever granules they applied outside would get either blown away or washed away in the snow. I told them I wanted to skip that quarterly application and do it in the early spring. They said then they would have to charge me as a "new customer" (more $$$) if I skipped a quarter. Bye, I told them.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 2,371 times
These guys applying their chemicals are just doing a job, they get paid whether it works for you or not. The same applies to the gardeners that cut your lawn on schedule. It's dry there is no grass yet the are mowing, with does flying everywhere.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:34 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
Someone actually saw a lawn care person doing their job? Too many times I've observed them and pest control trucks on my street. The drive up, sit in the truck for 10 minutes, get out, place their card on the lawn 'xyz serviced your lawn today' get in their truck, take another 5 minutes filling out their work order and leave. Total rip off.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:35 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Someone actually saw a lawn care person doing their job? Too many times I've observed them and pest control trucks on my street. The drive up, sit in the truck for 10 minutes, get out, place their card on the lawn 'xyz serviced your lawn today' get in their truck, take another 5 minutes filling out their work order and leave. Total rip off.
maybe they were using the new environmentally friendly 'program'.

The ones near me leave yellow stains on the side walk so you can tell they were there.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:35 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygarden View Post
These guys applying their chemicals are just doing a job, they get paid whether it works for you or not. The same applies to the gardeners that cut your lawn on schedule. It's dry there is no grass yet the are mowing, with does flying everywhere.
We pay$40 per mow. When my neighbor used to 'manage' the lawn service for our condo complex, we'd pay for weekly mow regardless whether the grass needed it or now. The lawn guy runs his equipment and go thru the motions for 30 mins even when the grass never grew an inch. Used to drive me crazy to have to split a huge bill for lawnmowing every few months.

Now, I manage the lawn service and asked the lawn guy to come as needed (I simply text him a few days before needing the mowing). Sometimes, the grass needs a weekly mow (early Spring) and other times, it'd be monthly (Aug-Sept). The lawn bill is 1/3 lower and the grass looks no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden