Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 08:51 AM

400 posts, read 571,357 times

Advertisements

After a beautiful March, it's turned cold wet and rainy/snowy. I'd ordered a couple bare root trees over the winter, and I just got notification that they shipped and will be here on Thursday. Our wet spell isn't due to end any time soon. We have off and on light rain predicted for every day in the 7 day forecast, and the ground is already wet. So, we aren't going to get picture perfect planting conditions any time soon.

So...I know I need to get these in the ground within a couple days or I need to figure out how to store them. And the conditions aren't going to be optimal by any means. I have silt loam soil, which should help with the compaction piece but I'm sure I'm still risking a muddy mess.

How would you guys recommend getting these in the ground with the minimal amount of damage to the soil structure around the roots? Or am I better off heeling the plants in somewhere and planting once things have dried out a bit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 09:06 AM

45,203 posts, read 60,346,783 times
I'd put them in. Maybe dig the hole now ($10 hole for $2 tree), and then put them in when received. I imagine you'll be told to soak the roots in water overnight before planting.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,422 posts, read 80,851,810 times
Bare root trees can last a few weeks as packed if in mulch, as long as you add a little water to keep the roots from drying out. When they arrive, if buds are swelling or any green is showing then they need to be planted sooner, but you could pot them up and transfer to the soil later. If you line the pot with old newspapers, it's fairly easy to transfer to a hole in the ground without disturbing the roots again. The newspaper will disintegrate before the roots grow out that far.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:20 PM

13,045 posts, read 7,459,844 times
Into the ground.
[I got 2 bareroot apples still in the water for 3rd week. I got a piriformis issue from digging too many holes for trees. Western States are about 2 weeks early and entering unheard 75+/80 weather.]

Old 04-08-2016, 07:02 AM

400 posts, read 571,357 times
I appreciate the input guys. I decided to do a little exploratory digging last night and soil conditions were better than I thought. All four are now in their final spots and watered in. And wouldn't you know it, it's now snowing! It's been a odd spring.

I planted a Winter Banana and Braeburn apple, and two American Redbuds.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,422 posts, read 80,851,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1572 View Post
I appreciate the input guys. I decided to do a little exploratory digging last night and soil conditions were better than I thought. All four are now in their final spots and watered in. And wouldn't you know it, it's now snowing! It's been a odd spring.

I planted a Winter Banana and Braeburn apple, and two American Redbuds.
It has been an odd spring, dry all week here and 80 yesterday, more of the same today and through the weekend before the normal rain returns next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden