Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 04:15 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times

Advertisements

yes I will leave the plants in the 5 gallon bucket and I have been told after that don't fool with them except to water and fertilize when they start getting flowers . Now ask Nickman7 how his garden did last year with 5 gallon buckets . He did very well indeed and I only hope to do as good as he did .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 05:13 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Plastic bucket growing, so ghetto but yet so cool. It shows you can grow pretty much anywhere, no excuse.
I see inspiration as I live in the desert. I've tried to dig holes in the dirt aka caliche but haven't had any real success with non-native plants. Buckets and container gardening is awesome and innovative.

I was just reading a thread about people in small towns not having good jobs nor money. They were arguing the only resource for food was the super-cheap high-carbo death diet. My thought was a garden. Grow your own food (in buckets) you may increase your quality of life.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:50 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Five gallon bucket is big enough for a tomato. It's probably better to partially fill with soil, and as the plant grows, snip off some lower leaves (back to the stem) and add more soil. Keep doing that until the container is nearly full.
i've grown tomatoes right in the soil bag.. we had an area in our yard with gravel with no purpose, so we tried this: just puncture a small hole in the plastic while the bag is laying flat down and plant it right in there. some small slits on top and bottom for watering and drainage. $2/bag of soil.. did 20 of them. got 800 tomatoes that year, and no weeds!

Old 04-11-2016, 05:58 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,966 times
ControlJohnsons - that sounds awesome. And by keeping the soil in the bag it may likely retain moisture which is favorable in my desert environment.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:32 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
ControlJohnsons - that sounds awesome. And by keeping the soil in the bag it may likely retain moisture which is favorable in my desert environment.
definitely, the plastic acts as a weed and moisture mulch. most importantly, plant them at an angle at about 1/4 from the end the soil bag, not straight up so the root is sideways into the bulk of the soil.. this way it will use up as much soil as possible since the bag is relatively thin. as it grows it will bend up towards the sun. another thing, we grew them with 5 main stems(let 4 "suckers" grow at the 2 lower joints) and cut the tops at around 3 1/2 feet. you don't want them to get too tall, but with the 5 stems you get lots of fruit, basically get shorter bushier plants. then we put the plastic soil bags and plants right next to each other to support each other and grow "wild". we used no extra support tho u can drive in stakes between bags if you want, some branches will creep onto the "ground", but since the plastic is there, no fruit rots!

Old 04-12-2016, 05:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
nita I got cukes growing now too I'm growing them upright aka the trellis made out of bamboo stakes and they do hold those heavy plants so don't let anyone talk you into spending a lot of money on cages or exp stakes they don't need it .
I am going to try the cukes in round pots. As for the cages, I actually bought about 1/2 dozen at the end of the season a few years ago for 60% off. Otherwise, I too, think they are way to pricy. Good to know about the trellis idea. I did tomatoes in containers last year; all I did was plant them (the containers were probably 1/2 filled with dirt) I kept them watered and used a little fertilizer. We had plenty. I am hoping for better luck even this year. Last year we really had too much rain. I don't know anyone who had an outstanding garden.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:18 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
Quote:

I'd loce to know how the currant tomatoes come out!

Old 04-12-2016, 09:56 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
i've grown tomatoes right in the soil bag.. we had an area in our yard with gravel with no purpose, so we tried this: just puncture a small hole in the plastic while the bag is laying flat down and plant it right in there. some small slits on top and bottom for watering and drainage. $2/bag of soil.. did 20 of them. got 800 tomatoes that year, and no weeds!
I've read about that, but I've never tried it. Now I want to plant something in a bag.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:25 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post

I'd loce to know how the currant tomatoes come out!
I tried them two years ago and they were awesome . would you like some seeds ? offering because I know how some things are so hard to come by . I think I have a few left .

Old 04-13-2016, 06:22 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
Quote:
I tried them two years ago and they were awesome . would you like some seeds ? offering because I know how some things are so hard to come by . I think I have a few left .
If you do have any left, that is a very generous offer. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden