U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2019, 11:19 AM

11,244 posts, read 12,192,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I ended up using this.

However the price went up. Now around 19/bag.

I had one final bag of Milorganite leftover from previous fert, so I did one part of my lawn with that bag, and the rest with the lawn food stuff. We will see if I notice a difference.

Very interesting smell. It's not overpowering like the milorganite is when you do your entire lawn with it, but it does have a smell.

This past weekend, I cut low, bagged everything, fertilized, and overseeded. Yesterday was got some good rain.

It's been cooling off now. Fall is starting to show around here. Night time temps drop far enough for there to be a heavy dew on the grass in the AM.

Got a couple trees to plant this weekend and then it's just keep on top of mowing and getting ready to rake leaves.

In the meantime...if I find milorganite i'm going to stockpile it.
Not a fan of this stuff BTW.

The lawn does green up, but nowhere near as dark green as it did with milorganite. The one piece of my yard I did hit with milorganite is noticeably greener.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 12:24 PM

62 posts, read 23,108 times
For those of you who might be looking for an organic lawn care program, and not crazy about using Milwaukee sewage (Milorganite), if you area offers a co-op, try them. I've been organic lawn gardening the past 10 years, with great success. I rarely water, and mow as high as possible. I have neighbors with worse-looking lawns, who mow real low and then water all day.

My program --- (generally):

Arbor Day (late April) - apply corn gluten meal
Memorial Day - apply soybean meal
Labor day - apply soybean meal
November after mower gets put away - final fall application corn gluten meal

Typically, where I'm at, from the co-op, a bag of gluten meal runs $30, and soybean around $20. I think they are 40-50 lb bags.

Corn gluten meal is the same thing as Organic Preen. I think it was the University of Iowa that did studies and concluded that corn gluten meal is an effective pre-emergent.

Good luck.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:17 PM

2,675 posts, read 2,915,785 times
Hmmmm so you are sticking with Milorganite? Put down 4 bags of it today.

Any experience with Jonathan Green & Sons Inc Winter Survival Fall Fertilizer which has 10-0-20?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Not a fan of this stuff BTW.

The lawn does green up, but nowhere near as dark green as it did with milorganite. The one piece of my yard I did hit with milorganite is noticeably greener.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:01 PM

This year, Milorganize was a game changer on the lawn. With minimal watering and fungus being suppressed, Milorganite made an amazing difference.

Applied to the lawn on April 1, Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day. Getting ready to put down 32-0-10 for the fall season but thinking come next year is going to totally Milorganite.

Also considering next spring and summer solely going with Milorganite on the perennials.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:35 PM

6,346 posts, read 3,612,483 times
I love Milorganite.... I used it all spring summer and the lasted dropping.... The only other things that I will put on my lawn are from the (IFA store https://ifacountrystores.com/) for the first spring dropping (pre-emergent) and the last fall dropping of the year.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:48 PM

I have been shifting from primarily synthetic to primarily organic.

I like using Milorganite in the spring and summer, and synthetic in the fall as temps drop.

Planning to use Leafgro and Milorganite solely next spring on all my flowering perennials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I love Milorganite.... I used it all spring summer and the lasted dropping.... The only other things that I will put on my lawn are from the (IFA store https://ifacountrystores.com/) for the first spring dropping (pre-emergent) and the last fall dropping of the year.

Old 12-27-2019, 07:50 PM

Planning to stock up on Milorganite after the first of the year to have enough to last all season.

Old 01-18-2020, 05:23 AM

Just picked up 6 bags and plan to get maybe another 6 before spring.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:02 AM

11,244 posts, read 12,192,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Hmmmm so you are sticking with Milorganite? Put down 4 bags of it today.

Any experience with Jonathan Green & Sons Inc Winter Survival Fall Fertilizer which has 10-0-20?
If I can find it.

I'm starting to look forward to my spring startup. Started looking locally at my local HD and Lowes for Milorganite and cannot find any.

I usually like to get some down in March. Really helped my lawn come alive quicker and faster during the spring thaw.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:59 PM

97 posts, read 26,980 times
Pretty much read the whole thread. Is this stuff safe for vegetables? Also, for 25 years my lawn fertilizer has been, worms. I spot spray weeds and pull crab grass carefully before I mow. Took a soil sample for testing next week this morning from the vegetable garden and had to sift out the worms. Robins love my yard. They eat very well all summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or