Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:18 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times

Advertisements

We sprinkle it on the pot surfaces about every 6 weeks. The plants we're feeding are really hungry types, so they get other supplements as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 11:12 AM

7,493 posts, read 7,168,905 times
What kind do of plants do you use it on? Like it better than Ironite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
We sprinkle it on the pot surfaces about every 6 weeks. The plants we're feeding are really hungry types, so they get other supplements as well.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:49 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
I don't know about Milorgranite, other than what I've read about the metals (folk lore or not).

I use Alfalfa Meal and Soybean Meal on my yard and it really seems to work quite well. Especially the soybean meal for new grass seeds and greening it all up. About the only chemical I use is Caravan G to wipe out the bad bugs and fungus/disease. Movin', I presume you're in the DC MSA? If so, Loudoun Milling on Rte. 7 past Leesburg has lots of this stuff for decent prices. So does Southern States down in Manassassas. I have heard that the DC Park Service uses the alfalfa down on the national mall and other monument/park areas around DC.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:11 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I wouldn't use it if you paid me. It's known for high concentrations of metals and other contaminants that get flushed into the sewer system.
I call BS! ALL Milwaukee sludge is tested for metals and by federal law can't be high in metals and be distributed off site or sold or they violate their NPDES permitting.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:25 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Been about 3 weeks in my lawn. We had some heavy rain this past week, but went outside to inspect and it's def growing well and nice and green.

My lawn was in rough shape, but I can also see the seed I threw down is sprouting and coming in well too! Downside...the weeds are growing pretty well too.

This lawn was in sad shape due to having 8 large trees overhead. Spots of grass grew in between patches of moss! Trees are gone, the grass is finally seeing sun and actually starting to grow and fill in!

Old 05-04-2016, 07:47 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
Movin, a lot of plants in the family solanaceae and not the edible types.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:44 PM

Agree! Milorganite is amazing!

P
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I call BS! ALL Milwaukee sludge is tested for metals and by federal law can't be high in metals and be distributed off site or sold or they violate their NPDES permitting.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:27 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,003 times
Yes, but only on days which end with a "y".

For lawns it is slow release, does not need to be watered in, can be dropped at any temperature without risk of burning, safe for animals and kids ... I drop at bag rate every two or three weeks from mid-May until mid -July, when growth slows. Then pick back up in late August/early September for the fall push until the big pause (when you get no more clippings when mowing), hit it with urea (46-0-0) and water that in so that the roots absorb the N for winter. I know people who apply weekly or double bag rate in the fall to prep it for winter (and are mowing every three days).

Come spring, other lawns are brown and thin, ours is green and thick. Also the only green lawn during high-heat weeks with far less irrigation (once-a-week, about an inch compared to neighbors who run every other day all spring-summer-fall). Downside is need to mow more frequently May into July and in the fall (higher soil temps in July-August slows top growth, but I also let the grass get taller in prep for those weeks).

Old 05-14-2016, 10:53 AM

Excellent advice as we seem to follow the same approach. Majority or nearly all nitrogen I apply in the Fall...spring green up is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Yes, but only on days which end with a "y".

For lawns it is slow release, does not need to be watered in, can be dropped at any temperature without risk of burning, safe for animals and kids ... I drop at bag rate every two or three weeks from mid-May until mid -July, when growth slows. Then pick back up in late August/early September for the fall push until the big pause (when you get no more clippings when mowing), hit it with urea (46-0-0) and water that in so that the roots absorb the N for winter. I know people who apply weekly or double bag rate in the fall to prep it for winter (and are mowing every three days).

Come spring, other lawns are brown and thin, ours is green and thick. Also the only green lawn during high-heat weeks with far less irrigation (once-a-week, about an inch compared to neighbors who run every other day all spring-summer-fall). Downside is need to mow more frequently May into July and in the fall (higher soil temps in July-August slows top growth, but I also let the grass get taller in prep for those weeks).

Old 05-20-2016, 01:57 PM

So for applying it to a lawn this time of the year what setting do most people go with in the mid Alantic area on turf type fescue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden