U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-23-2016, 07:24 AM
 
2,651 posts, read 2,898,188 times
Reputation: 895

Advertisements

Grass is doing very well, just lowered cutting to 3".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2016, 08:16 AM
 
485 posts, read 298,494 times
Reputation: 774
4".. wooded area so grass grow slow here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2016, 12:39 PM
 
2,651 posts, read 2,898,188 times
Reputation: 895
Do you keep that height year round?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Romaneats View Post
4".. wooded area so grass grow slow here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2016, 03:49 PM
 
485 posts, read 298,494 times
Reputation: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Do you keep that height year round?
We tried shorter cuttings, no good.
So left it at 4 for this whole year to establish the roots.
We are not just part shade but very very shaded.. so it's painful to grow grass.

(Height good for reseeding naturally too)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2016, 06:00 AM
 
2,651 posts, read 2,898,188 times
Reputation: 895
Agree! Too many people make the mistake of lowering their cutting height too low in the fall.

On cool season grasses, best to keep it around in lower than 3".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romaneats View Post
We tried shorter cuttings, no good.
So left it at 4 for this whole year to establish the roots.
We are not just part shade but very very shaded.. so it's painful to grow grass.

(Height good for reseeding naturally too)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2016, 09:16 AM
 
2,651 posts, read 2,898,188 times
Reputation: 895
Temptation is in the air, but keep that mower deck set high. Don't make the mistake of lowering it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2017, 12:38 PM
 
2,651 posts, read 2,898,188 times
Reputation: 895
Summer time and heat means time to raise the height on the lawn mower to the highest setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2017, 06:05 PM
 
2,651 posts, read 2,898,188 times
Reputation: 895
Unfortunately, most push lawnmowers only go to 3.5", some 4".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2017, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,662 posts, read 13,399,246 times
Reputation: 28455
What little grass I have about 3". I don't mow in winter because the snow would clog the lawnmower blades. Back years ago when I owned a home in Arkansas, a supervisor at the time visited, actually pulled out a ruler and told me I was cutting my lawn too short. Micromanagement at its finest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2017, 07:41 PM
 
2,651 posts, read 2,898,188 times
Reputation: 895
Higher the better in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
What little grass I have about 3". I don't mow in winter because the snow would clog the lawnmower blades. Back years ago when I owned a home in Arkansas, a supervisor at the time visited, actually pulled out a ruler and told me I was cutting my lawn too short. Micromanagement at its finest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top