U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-12-2017, 09:09 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
815 posts, read 513,356 times
Reputation: 1140

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I cut my yard every week. We like it short and looking nice. Not sure why summer makes a difference though, we want it short all year long.
tsk tsk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2017, 08:24 AM
 
3,142 posts, read 3,067,936 times
Reputation: 1038
Short all year long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
tsk tsk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2017, 10:32 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,736 posts, read 59,635,686 times
Reputation: 35987
I stop cutting ours in early July when we start to get sun. I will water once a week and it stays somewhat green, but doesn't grow enough to need cutting again until the rain returns in September. Normally in spring and fall I cut to 1" weekly
until it goes dormant from the cold about mid November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2017, 10:53 AM
 
Location: NC
7,504 posts, read 9,458,342 times
Reputation: 15809
It rains a lot in central NC. So whenever there are two weeks without significant rain in july and august I raise the mower 1/2 inch. I have a mix of species including clover, annual and perennial grasses on a large acreage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2017, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Behind You!
1,952 posts, read 3,757,240 times
Reputation: 2707
Front yard is tall fescue and direct sun 4in during the summer and 2.5-3in when it's cooler. 3" in the back yard, partial sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2017, 07:12 AM
 
3,142 posts, read 3,067,936 times
Reputation: 1038
Keep mine high at 4" in summer. Requires less rainfall and better for the summer heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Front yard is tall fescue and direct sun 4in during the summer and 2.5-3in when it's cooler. 3" in the back yard, partial sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 12:03 PM
 
11,526 posts, read 12,488,163 times
Reputation: 15915
I'm at around 4" or so. I had my mower maxed out, but I found the grass would fall over on itself and didn't look great. Took it down a notch and it stands up much better. Might be 3.75" or so.


Mid-july, still needing to cut 1-2x per week. Some spots that see full sun grow slower, but the shady spots are still growing fast. If I press my finger into the soil, I can feel moisture..even in sunny areas


SHort grass is unappealing to me. My neighbor cuts his at 2". Looks like a golf course, but he has to constantly water the lawn to keep it that way. Mine at 4" is just as green, but I have yet to put a sprinkler on it. Rain only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2017, 07:40 PM
 
3,142 posts, read 3,067,936 times
Reputation: 1038
Im with you on short grass...it's just not a lawn.

I have several neighbors who refer not to cutting their grass as they really don't have any, more their brush and weeds.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm at around 4" or so. I had my mower maxed out, but I found the grass would fall over on itself and didn't look great. Took it down a notch and it stands up much better. Might be 3.75" or so.


Mid-july, still needing to cut 1-2x per week. Some spots that see full sun grow slower, but the shady spots are still growing fast. If I press my finger into the soil, I can feel moisture..even in sunny areas


SHort grass is unappealing to me. My neighbor cuts his at 2". Looks like a golf course, but he has to constantly water the lawn to keep it that way. Mine at 4" is just as green, but I have yet to put a sprinkler on it. Rain only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2017, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Northern Appalachia
6,257 posts, read 7,144,484 times
Reputation: 7566
I checked my lawn mower's height adjustment. The highest it goes is 3.5". I've been cutting at that height, but the mower misses a lot of blades even if I go over it twice. I know a couple of my neighbors think I'm crazy for cutting it that high. They like to mow their grass right above the dirt. The neighbor behind me mows his on the absolute lowest setting. He has large oak trees and he runs the mower over most of the sticks that fall. I doubt that he ever sharpens the blade. The yard is always a mess after he mows but I'm sure he thinks he is doing it the most efficient way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 06:09 AM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
12,329 posts, read 12,240,701 times
Reputation: 12734
Many of my neighbors cut their lawns very short. I cut mine about 3" and probably should have it a little longer. It dries out fast due to the sandy soil and I'm not big on watering. I have 2 large flower beds, one 30', other 55' which I water if some plants look real bad, but lawn not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:45 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top