Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 08:04 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times

Advertisements

I always use the medium to high setting, but only have a very small amount of lawn as the vast majority of my lot is woods that I maintain- to remove any invasive species.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2023, 07:31 PM

7,489 posts, read 7,160,377 times
Optimal setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Our lawn program calls for the highest setting on the mower. The setting is 5, but I’m not sure what that actually means in inches. Hubby is putting it back down to 4, because he said 5 “is not a satisfying mow”.

Old 04-10-2023, 08:35 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,546,655 times
There are people in my neighborhood that cut their lawns so low I don’t know how their grass survives. But it does, and it looks great. Can’t explain that.

I think it might be equally important to never cut more than a third of your grass height, maybe less, at a time. So, that may mean cutting every four or five days, even three during heavy growth.

I set the mowers a bit lower in late fall and early spring, and higher the rest of the season. I want the lawn to be healthy and thick, but not too high; certainly not the highest setting (on my mowers).

I guess I’m going for that golf course condition, though I never quite achieve it.

Old 04-15-2023, 05:27 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,262,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
There are people in my neighborhood that cut their lawns so low I don’t know how their grass survives. But it does, and it looks great. Can’t explain that.

I think it might be equally important to never cut more than a third of your grass height, maybe less, at a time. So, that may mean cutting every four or five days, even three during heavy growth.

I set the mowers a bit lower in late fall and early spring, and higher the rest of the season. I want the lawn to be healthy and thick, but not too high; certainly not the highest setting (on my mowers).

I guess I’m going for that golf course condition, though I never quite achieve it.

In Texas I had Bermuda in the front yard (by builder) and St Augustine (by me) in the back. I could mow the Bermuda pretty much however I wanted, but the St Augustine was so thick and lush that I had to cut it high. Didn't seem to matter how high it was before mowing, if I tried to go less than the '3-1/2' setting on the self propelled Toro (heavy) it would bog down. Tried mowing it and then immediately lowering a notch and mowing again to no avail.

I was mowing the back at least twice a week to keep it under control. It was big back yard, so that got old pretty quick... but I sure do miss the beautiful grass.

Old 04-16-2023, 01:26 PM

“never cut more than a third of your grass height”

This is definitely the golden rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post

Old 04-16-2023, 01:34 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
“never cut more than a third of your grass height”

This is definitely the golden rule.
I'm watching my neighbor struggle to mow his lawn. His lawnmower is on the lowest setting and the ground is uneven after winter and from moles. He scalps the high areas. I wonder if he knows he can adjust the height of the lawnmower.

Old 04-23-2023, 08:53 PM

Sad, but probably believes that is the better way to go and will allow him to cut less frequently. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I'm watching my neighbor struggle to mow his lawn. His lawnmower is on the lowest setting and the ground is uneven after winter and from moles. He scalps the high areas. I wonder if he knows he can adjust the height of the lawnmower.

Old 05-20-2023, 03:38 PM

Within the past couple of weeks, the soil has been rather dry, and definitely in need of some showers. Being sure to keep the grass cut extra high during this time frame is extra important.

Old 05-27-2023, 04:21 AM

Still a couple of inches of rainfall below average for the year. One of the best things to deal with this is cutting high.

Old 05-27-2023, 08:22 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,175,527 times
It’s obviously a big variable that depends on the weather, the rainfall and even different areas of a large lawn where certain areas are exposed to full sun or shade.

I adjust accordingly and since one area of our lawn is lightly shaded, it grows faster so I lower the blades when cutting that area.

It’s not a “one answer fits all” type of question!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden