Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2016, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
83,120 posts, read 74,216,825 times
Reputation: 16448

Advertisements

I finally measured after all these years. (from garage floor to blade)


Front yard 2.5"
Backyard 1.5"


I did 2.0" for the front last 2 times and realized it when it was too light/brown looking. I then realized I didn't go up half notch on the wheels.

It's raining now so the grass is happy again. lol


I think I'll try 3" for front, thing is, grass grows like wild here. I already mow every 4-6 days so mowing at 3" and I might have to mow every other day. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2016, 02:48 PM
 
Location: LI,NY zone 7a
2,221 posts, read 2,062,066 times
Reputation: 2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I finally measured after all these years. (from garage floor to blade)


Front yard 2.5"
Backyard 1.5"


I did 2.0" for the front last 2 times and realized it when it was too light/brown looking. I then realized I didn't go up half notch on the wheels.

It's raining now so the grass is happy again. lol


I think I'll try 3" for front, thing is, grass grows like wild here. I already mow every 4-6 days so mowing at 3" and I might have to mow every other day. lol
We up here can grow our grass no higher than 4.5 inches, BUT you should only cut 1/3 of the actual height at a time. So it's just better for the lawn to cut it twice a week till it gets hot. Then knock it down to once a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2016, 12:44 PM
 
7,408 posts, read 6,959,782 times
Reputation: 2770
Hot here now. Never cut during the day and cut it high (4").

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
We up here can grow our grass no higher than 4.5 inches, BUT you should only cut 1/3 of the actual height at a time. So it's just better for the lawn to cut it twice a week till it gets hot. Then knock it down to once a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2016, 01:33 PM
 
6,909 posts, read 7,613,000 times
Reputation: 2589
Short as possible. Grows slower that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2016, 01:49 PM
 
4,739 posts, read 10,353,340 times
Reputation: 4186
Jets - you forgot your /sarcasm tag...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2016, 01:52 PM
 
7,408 posts, read 6,959,782 times
Reputation: 2770
On the contrary, shorter you cut it, the faster it grows.

http://turf.unl.edu/research/2014res...tFrequency.pdf




Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Short as possible. Grows slower that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2016, 02:21 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,119 times
Reputation: 18
Leaving grass high leads to deeper rat structure - what type of grass? Fescue,Kentucky Blue? I used to maintain greens at Country club and know (as stated) 1/3 at a time. Your fescues do well if you follow this rule, however don't waste water on watering - once every 3-4 days.Only in America do we spent this much time and money on lawns =- every where else people grow FOOD (a word to the wise).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2016, 07:31 PM
 
7,408 posts, read 6,959,782 times
Reputation: 2770
I assume you mean roots and not rats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpasc View Post
Leaving grass high leads to deeper rat structure - what type of grass? Fescue,Kentucky Blue? I used to maintain greens at Country club and know (as stated) 1/3 at a time. Your fescues do well if you follow this rule, however don't waste water on watering - once every 3-4 days.Only in America do we spent this much time and money on lawns =- every where else people grow FOOD (a word to the wise).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2016, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
18,754 posts, read 17,912,314 times
Reputation: 14724
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Short as possible. Grows slower that way.
In the Spring, when there is plenty of rainfall, I cut shorter so that I do not have to cut as many times. Then, as the summer gets hotter and the grass grows slower, I cut longer. I just try to make my job easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2016, 08:39 AM
 
Location: North West Arkansas (zone 6b)
2,776 posts, read 3,201,047 times
Reputation: 3911
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Short as possible. Grows slower that way.
if you cut 1/3 of the height of the grass you would have to cut more often than if you have longer grass.

1/3 of 1" of grass = .33 inches of growth (probably 2 days)
1/3 of 3.5" of grass = 1.15 inches of growth (probably 1 week)

it seems counter intuitive at first, but it's much better for your grass unless you are cutting every 3 days. I learned this in the master gardener training 2 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top