Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2021, 04:56 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,173,762 times

Advertisements

Just did another fresh cutting of the lawn today but kept the setting on the higher than lower side. Too many tend to want to nearly scalp their lawn in the fall but that really isn't the best thing for the grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 07:58 AM

2,480 posts, read 1,550,658 times
I cut my lawn yesterday and dropped the height down a notch on my Toro zero turn. I would like an in-between notch as the difference in height between notches seems too much to me. I keep the grass pretty high with the highest setting during June through October. At this point our grass is no longer growing, or is growing at a very slow rate. Yesterday’s mowing may be the final cut of the year for me. We have been getting a serious frost each morning for over a week now as the temps have been in the high 20s in the early morning.

If I use the mower at this point it will be for leaf collection.

Right now my lawn looks the best it has all year. But the leaves will continue to fall and cover it until about Thanksgiving. That’s usually my final clean-up weekend. I always hope the snow holds off until then.

Old 11-08-2021, 07:13 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,134 times
I thought it was best to go lower for the last few cuts. I am at 3 inch and perhaps will go to 2.5.

Old 11-09-2021, 03:54 AM

What height did you go with on your most recent cut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I cut my lawn yesterday and dropped the height down a notch on my Toro zero turn. I would like an in-between notch as the difference in height between notches seems too much to me. I keep the grass pretty high with the highest setting during June through October. At this point our grass is no longer growing, or is growing at a very slow rate. Yesterday’s mowing may be the final cut of the year for me. We have been getting a serious frost each morning for over a week now as the temps have been in the high 20s in the early morning.

If I use the mower at this point it will be for leaf collection.

Right now my lawn looks the best it has all year. But the leaves will continue to fall and cover it until about Thanksgiving. That’s usually my final clean-up weekend. I always hope the snow holds off until then.

Old 11-15-2021, 05:47 PM

I will probably stop at about 3 to 3 1/2 “.

Looking at another cut or two still. Upper 40s today, but back up to 70’ on Thursday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I thought it was best to go lower for the last few cuts. I am at 3 inch and perhaps will go to 2.5.

Old 12-10-2021, 01:05 PM

Hard to believe mid December and still cutting grass…first time in history, but highs tomorrow low 70’s.

Old 02-14-2022, 05:30 PM

Dropping off the lawn mower this week for a check over and sharpening the blade.

Old 02-16-2022, 12:07 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,674,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
It's better for weeds, as they'll find it easier to get up above the top of the turf before the turf starts growing. So if you want a lot of weeds in the spring, that's the strategy to follow.

Old 02-16-2022, 12:12 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,674,170 times
I've got mostly San Augustine and I have it cut around 4.5" high. I never change the height. It's important to keep the soil shaded. Since SA runners are above the soil, it's also well to keep them shaded. It also means weeds have more turf above them and they've got to grow more before they can start getting a full amount of sun.

Personally I believe in the value of benign neglect for most things related to turf grass and my lawn looks a lot better than most of the ones around here where I see the trucks with the chemical tanks several times a year. The only thing is that I have to use a hoe to remove dandelions in the spring before they scatter seeds. You ought to see the millennials stare when I get out there with a hoe and start chopping weeds!

Old 02-16-2022, 12:30 PM

Absolutely correct. Too many people make the mistake toward the end of the season of wanting to lower the deck on their lawn mower to give it a nice, clean close short to the ground cut.
Weeds will see that as the perfect opportunity to thrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
It's better for weeds, as they'll find it easier to get up above the top of the turf before the turf starts growing. So if you want a lot of weeds in the spring, that's the strategy to follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden