Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 09:51 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,013,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Have you started cutting yet?

I did one cut with my push mower on Saturday to clean up (1/2 acre), though it was hard to see where I mowed in some places as the grass was barely greened-out. It's not time to break out the rider mower as of yet, it would probably kill things as the ground is still soft. I then put down 9 bags of Milorganite.

We are supposed to get rains starting tomorrow, and that should help nicely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 05:30 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,166,134 times
Need to pick up some Milorganite this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I did one cut with my push mower on Saturday to clean up (1/2 acre), though it was hard to see where I mowed in some places as the grass was barely greened-out. It's not time to break out the rider mower as of yet, it would probably kill things as the ground is still soft. I then put down 9 bags of Milorganite.

We are supposed to get rains starting tomorrow, and that should help nicely!

Old 05-04-2018, 05:38 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,013,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Need to pick up some Milorganite this weekend.

We got good rain yesterday and today and it watered in the Milorganite nicely. Looks like I might have to mow the lawn TWICE tomorrow, LOL. It's grown 3 inches and thickened right up quite a bit.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:12 PM

Nice!

Just raised the cutting deck on my lawnmower by half an inch, getting ready for the summer season.

Remember the higher you cut it the slower it grows, reducing watering and weeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
We got good rain yesterday and today and it watered in the Milorganite nicely. Looks like I might have to mow the lawn TWICE tomorrow, LOL. It's grown 3 inches and thickened right up quite a bit.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:39 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,437,356 times
Lawn update (note I referred to the yard as a lawn): I mowed today for the first time since reseeding the Bermuda grass. I've been watering daily and the lawn looks great (lush dark green). I measured the height and I mow it to about 3". There are a few patchy areas along the driveway / road where I must not have done a good job of seeding and there are a few yellow patches where I've sprayed crabgrass and oxalis. I think I might sow some seed on the patches and just keep it watered. It's not supposed to rain until the end of May...

I know that experts recommend applying fertilizer more often but my next planned application is Milorganite in late June.

The back yard is looking somewhat better - I applied some weed and feed and I've been spot spraying some weeds. I've been hand pulling poa annua and foxtail (I don't rely solely - or even mostly- on chemicals - but I haven't found a chemical that kills those). It looks like it will be ready for reseeding next year.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:52 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,955,804 times
Same height I do everything else, no matter the season..... 5'2"

Old 05-11-2018, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the update and keeping us posted on your progress.

Low 90s here this weekend time to raise the cutting height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Lawn update (note I referred to the yard as a lawn): I mowed today for the first time since reseeding the Bermuda grass. I've been watering daily and the lawn looks great (lush dark green). I measured the height and I mow it to about 3". There are a few patchy areas along the driveway / road where I must not have done a good job of seeding and there are a few yellow patches where I've sprayed crabgrass and oxalis. I think I might sow some seed on the patches and just keep it watered. It's not supposed to rain until the end of May...

I know that experts recommend applying fertilizer more often but my next planned application is Milorganite in late June.

The back yard is looking somewhat better - I applied some weed and feed and I've been spot spraying some weeds. I've been hand pulling poa annua and foxtail (I don't rely solely - or even mostly- on chemicals - but I haven't found a chemical that kills those). It looks like it will be ready for reseeding next year.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:54 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,879,965 times
I wonder why people cut their grass so short, like a golf course. The grass is less healthy. Weed is easier to outgrow the grass and they have to use more water, chemical. I like the lush thick looking of slightly taller grass.

Some idiotic HOAs have code that require homeowners to cut grass at a certain short height.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:52 PM

They honestly think they have to cut less often but it makes it grow more and induces weeds.

The look you love is the proper one for lawns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I wonder why people cut their grass so short, like a golf course. The grass is less healthy. Weed is easier to outgrow the grass and they have to use more water, chemical. I like the lush thick looking of slightly taller grass.

Some idiotic HOAs have code that require homeowners to cut grass at a certain short height.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:23 AM

Cut high in the summer.

https://youtu.be/JAXNDXAwp0w

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden