Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 08:56 AM

311 posts, read 451,251 times

Advertisements

Your tree looks like it is/was a Live Oak. Are you in the South? They have a short life-span of about 400 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 09:27 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Depending on the plant, I've had some drop all of their leaves after being moved only to come back healthy the next year.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:35 AM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdai View Post
i thought the builder should know this too, but when i asked him this afternoon about whether he knows what kind of tree was being planted, he replied no sir.
Personally, if resale is not a concern, i would just get rid off the damn tree, so it makes easier for me to mow the lawn. When i talked to my coworker today at work, he told me having a tree in the yard would actually increase your resale value. Also, all my neighbors have a tree in their front yard, so it would be a little weird if im the only house without a tree.

Well, at least you know your check cleared.

Most builders put the same trees in all the properties, just ask a neighbor what they have, or it should be on your spec sheet if you had the house built.

Generally, trees increase the value of a house. You might also, in a few years, come to appreciate a bit of shade in the front yard.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:49 AM

308 posts, read 499,202 times
It looks like you're in a newer suburb subdivision. Also keep in mind that some HOA require you to have a certain amount of trees. To help keep the beauty of neighborhood up. They don't want everyone to start removing their trees. I think trees, shrubs, flowers, etc does add value and makes the house/neighborhood look less bland.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:44 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I don't know if landscaping can increase sales price, but it can make a house easier to sell.

Personally, I dislike that single-tree-all-by-itself-in-the-middle-of-the-yard look.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:50 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know if landscaping can increase sales price, but it can make a house easier to sell.

Personally, I dislike that single-tree-all-by-itself-in-the-middle-of-the-yard look.
Yeah, but it sure beats the Treeless-yards-this-must-be-a-SCUMMY-neighborhood Look.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:35 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdai View Post
we closed on our house in late march of this yr. the builder has plant a tree in the front yard, however, after over a month, the tree seems to be dead. see the attachment file,
Q1. base on the pic i attached, is the tree really dead? there are barely any leaves growing on the branches. I nicked a piece of the branch off, and i didn't see any moist or green, it looked pretty dry.
Q2. what kind of tree do I have?
Q3. Does not having a tree in the front yard affect the resale value? I noticed having the tree makes mowing the lawn to be somewhat inconvenient
Q4. what type of tree is recommended to plant in the front yard? Ideally speaking
1. the tree should not grow too big, otherwise the roots will mess up the foundation.
2. the life span of the tree should be over 10 yrs.
3. it looks visually appealing

Thanks for the help!!!!
Looks like a live oak. Probably not dead. We had a red oak that after 4 years or so is just now coming to life -lol..

It probably didn't cost much. I bought two live oaks at the grocery store a bit smaller than that and paid no more than 20 dollars each.

You should get a pecan tree. More shade and you get a bonus - pecans! They do take lots of water.

Oh, and that tree should also be watered if you want to keep it.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:07 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Hopefullyif it is an oak this single tree will grow to be a lovely spreading feature. Certainly from the look of the rest of the street in the picture it will add value to the house and probably to the whole street. It's be anything but an improvement.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:26 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
I like the look of mature neighborhoods which in large part has big tree canopies. However, I always see trees that were planted way too close to the house, roots uplifting sidewalks and driveways, branches that were cut at the powerline making the entire tree out of balance. In these cases, the house would've been better off without the tree.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:43 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,389,618 times
based on where you live I suggest you plant a Magnolia. Green year around, beautiful white flowers and they grow well in your locale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden