Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 06:32 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times

Advertisements

http://www.wildflowerfarm.com/WildflowerGuide.mp4

Meadow yard enthusiasts - and the naysayers - should take a look at the above video. Growing and maintaining a meadow yard takes preparation, knowledge and time. You don't just throw seeds out there and quit mowing. You mow some the first year, less the second year and by year 3, you meadow is taking care of itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 07:03 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
Man

Made

Pond

Old 05-18-2016, 12:46 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Hmmm... How come no mowing between the trees? I am all for trees for wind protection. I am all for say orchard for fruits. Soil appears to be generous for those, actually, several fruit trees we have do fine.
But if I leave it be between trees, won't it start looking like a jungle soon? As I mentioned, whatever grass we have, did not die in the last year drought and grows 4 feet high. I have chunk left that when I drive my old Craftsman in there, grass it actually taller than engine cover.
I mean, we could plant trees and then maybe run quad in between them. Have two sons that will be all for it and grandson is growing.
I simply do not want to let it look wild. Or, kill the resale value, you know. Not everyone appreciates forest in the backyard.
Oh, and definitely not pines. No no no. Gutters are tooo hard to clean as the result.

I give up. You said you were trying to cut back on mowing, so I keep providing you with techniques I have personally used to do that, then you ask why would there be no mowing?

You don't like forests, pines clog your gutter, trees grow too slow...When reclaiming large portions of lawn, pine tree grouping are rarely anywhere near the house and gutters...

My last suggestions: Start a wine vineyard, or a hippie commune...

Old 05-18-2016, 03:31 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Build some granny cottages and rent them out.... Id be only to happy to rent one.. Ive never had that much land so you might need a Capability Brown to help out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden