Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 02:08 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times

Advertisements

I have six acre property with easy 5 of it being lawn.
I actually like mowing, problem is - land is very bumpy and nothing can be done about this. Moles. Re grading not gonna work as they will ruin it in a month or so with mounds and for the love of god, I am not going to dedicate my life to hunting moles on 5 acres.
So question is - how do I aesthetically pleasingly reduce mowable area significantly? It's land of horse properties, but everyone is up keeping lawns.
I have good mower, as of now, I mow about 4 acres and did it Friday in 2 hr 20 minutes. But it's back breaking because of bumpiness. Should it all have been football field level, I'd have been happy as, as I said - I like mowing. It's not my back that hurts, it's actually neck muscles.
So, what say you? As I mentioned, not ruining the curb and overall property look. It's a nice property. But I'd love to reduce mowing to acre and a half maybe. You know, around the house.
House is set back 2/3rds into the lawn, long driveway. Front looks to me like about 3 acres, with about an acre of wetland.

Thank you.
We do consider grazing animals, but they need a lot of upkeep and I am leaving at 6 30 and back at 6 - 6 30. Wife is night shifting, so we are trying to not load ourselves with additional babies to take care of. I'd rather look into maybe some "botanical" solution. Plants, shrubs... Donno. Open to suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 03:39 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Why not replant native forest type trees and plants? After they canopy, no more mowing.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:42 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Wild flowers!

Old 05-15-2016, 06:17 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
I have an acreage and do a lot of mowing myself. My suggestion to you would be to buy a better mower! You can buy a small tractor with a finish mower. Some are very easy to use, having 4-wheel drive and a hydrostatic transmission. You can get a roof too. Best of all, the tractors hold their value, so when you sell your place you can recover a lot of the cost.

Wild flowers, while possibly attractive the first year, can end up looking like weeds, and weeds can work their way in. Ground covers, like ivy, periwinkle, etc will simply offer breeding grounds for rodents. So mowed grass is still your best bet, although you could just let your grass grow wild (it would get weeds in it though).

Old 05-15-2016, 07:08 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Again, he does not want to mow. A native forest is the way to go, imho.
Nice backdrop to the house.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:43 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
This is what I did:

~Strategic groupings of pines in groups of 3 or more to fill in large chunks. Think of your landscape design and how you want them to look once they are 30 feet tall.

~Create another section that you will allow to reclaim itself back to woods. Start it out by randomly spacing out native hardwood plantings to use as anchor trees, to get the regrowth started.

~Donate a large section to a neighbor who cuts hay, if you have enough acreage to turn over. A farmer a few miles away from me did this on several acres that I turned into a field. I did not charge him to lease the land because he was doing me a favor, cutting my hours on the tractor and saving me time and gas.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:51 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Trees will take too long to grow. We are about ten years from retirement. Likely downsize then.
No, I do not "not want to mow". I LIKE mowing. I simply do not want to spend TOO MUCH time doing it. Besides, the very moment it rains non stop for 2 weeks, I am back to point zero as I can't mow grass that is too wet. As I said, I have good mower. But even that won't do. When we moved in, that's what happened. I ended with 4 feet tall grass, thing grows like weeds, pun intended. Took me lots of effort to clear most of it, I don't want to do this again.
Oh yeah, tractor with field mower. 10 grand used? Arrrggghhhh...
Surprisingly, wife had same idea - give away free hay. Well, that's an option.
Of course, there is Matt that mows neighbor's property. $30 per acre.

~Strategic groupings of pines in groups of 3 or more to fill in large chunks. Think of your landscape design and how you want them to look once they are 30 feet tall.
Something like this.... Would have been nice, as we are open to winds and if it blows, it blows. That would have created a natural wind barrier too, as it mostly blows from south/south west. That's 2 acre backyard. We keep thinking about this, planting natural wall. It's just that it takes so long....

No woods anywhere around. As in woods. Acreage properties all around. I shall look abandoned.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:44 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
The trees will take too long to grow. You're going to move in ten years. Why are you asking?

Last edited by Gerania; 05-15-2016 at 10:20 PM..

Old 05-15-2016, 09:55 PM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Wild flowers!
Yep.
Meadows Instead of Lawns Are in Fashion in Residential Landscaping - WSJ

Meadow yards is what they are called, and there are companies who specialize in getting you started. You kill the existing grasses, plant the continuously blooming flowers, and let them go. Cut them once in the fall, let the cut stalks lie where they fall, and reseed as per directions (and seeds) from your supplier.
You do not fertilize wildflowers.

Property near the house would be separated from the meadow in some fashion.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:33 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,908 times
Another vote for meadow!

You could turn 1-3 acres into meadow and leave the rest lawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden