Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2016, 08:35 PM

6,870 posts, read 7,815,421 times

Advertisements

Today I was out back hacking away at my own personal Jumanji. I have a heavily wooded lot with huge old trees and lots of undergrowth. There were some nice things planted out there when I moved in, ferns, hellebores, columbine, etc, but I let it get out of control, volunteers are choking some of the more desirable things. So I cut down some 'briars'. I grew up in NC, we were always getting stuck in 'briars'. I hate em!

But after I cut, I discovered that there were some blackberries on one of them.

I've got lots more briars out there.

Would it be worth the effort to try to cultivate these briars? Maybe train them to a support of some kind and prune them in some useful way?

I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 08:44 PM

983 posts, read 1,047,618 times
If you want to cultivate berries, I strongly recommend that you buy some "tame" starts. Tame blackberries are easier to train to wires (thinner vines), have smaller thorns, have smaller seeds. There are even some cultivars that are upright - don't need wires - and are thornless. You can go to Raintree Nursery (google it - not sure if we're allowed to post links) for examples of these berries.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:29 AM

32,491 posts, read 47,436,183 times
Himalayan bkackberries, which are the "wild" ones, are small and seedy. They are invasive and have really nasty thorns. I suggest the you get rid of them and buy some good domestic blackberries. Or maybe a few raspberry vines. Or both.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:54 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,754,919 times
We have three distinct varieties of wild blackberries around here. We have a small bitter variety that no one ever picks. We have a medium sized berry that's sweet and great for pies. We have a large juicy dewberry that is so sweet, plump, and juicy that it rarely makes it into a pie.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,104 posts, read 80,155,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Himalayan bkackberries, which are the "wild" ones, are small and seedy. They are invasive and have really nasty thorns. I suggest the you get rid of them and buy some good domestic blackberries. Or maybe a few raspberry vines. Or both.
Agreed. Around here, if you want some wild blackberries just stop. The car along the road and pick all you want. You don't want them in your yard, they are terribly hard to get rid of. Buy domesticated berries, my favorite is boysenberry and they are available thornless.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:20 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,070,777 times
Ahhhhh! they are in my backyard. Two years and I still can't get rid of them. Evil plant! )-:

Old 05-29-2016, 05:25 PM

3,426 posts, read 4,333,588 times
Blackberries are expensive, so if you like to eat them, by all means, cultivate the ones you have.

Like raspberries, they can grow wild and do fine. You will have to cut them back in early spring to let the new growth begin.

They can spread easily, though. Not as bad as rose bushes, but they can still proliferate. Keep them in check by digging up shoots that you find.

If you want to remove them entirely, you'll have to dig up all the roots. I say keep them and eat them, though.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:56 PM

7,056 posts, read 9,011,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Blackberries are expensive, so if you like to eat them, by all means, cultivate the ones you have.

Like raspberries, they can grow wild and do fine. You will have to cut them back in early spring to let the new growth begin.

They can spread easily, though. Not as bad as rose bushes, but they can still proliferate. Keep them in check by digging up shoots that you find.

If you want to remove them entirely, you'll have to dig up all the roots. I say keep them and eat them, though.
Or use Brush Killer on them.

I have some growing, they produce some nice, fat, juicy berries. I have let them take over a good-sized patch of land. They are great for fresh eating, and, cooked down with some sugar or honey, they make an excellent sauce for grilled meats (for an interesting bit of spice with the sweet I sometimes add a bit of my home-grown hot pepper to it).

I have wild raspberries that I've let grow too.

Be advised that some types may bear [well] only every other year, and some types need to be cut back every year. (Some bear only on old growth, some only on new growth.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden