Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 08:51 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times

Advertisements

Oh so sweet,, wish we had them here too..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 09:21 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
But it was funny one time a few years ago: two of them were mating on the lawn near the house. I grabbed the 12 gauge and walked right up to them, within 10 feet. They were so rapturous in their mating that they didn't seem to care of my presence. POW went the right barrel and daddy rolled off. POW went the left barrel and mama went down. The funny part was that this was Valentine's Day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
I fail to see the humor in your statement and frankly I think it's a little sick that you do.

Perhaps you'd prefer "ironic" rather than "funny."

Ya know, mating on Valentine's day was ironic, or appropriate, or .... , to moi, funny.

And allowing me to get so close to such cautious creatures while packing heat was .... "unusual" to say the least.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:31 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Yeah, Ground hog. We got them here too. Ask him what he thinks Winter will be like. lol

Look for big holes in the yard, they borrow deep. They harmless to us but can rip up the landscape as you know.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:31 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Perhaps you'd prefer "ironic" rather than "funny."

Ya know, mating on Valentine's day was ironic, or appropriate, or .... , to moi, funny.

And allowing me to get so close to such cautious creatures while packing heat was .... "unusual" to say the least.
Actually I'd prefer you didn't kill them at all. You said yourself that they don't damage your garden. So why did you feel the need to kill them?

Old 06-06-2016, 10:48 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
Quote:
Actually I'd prefer you didn't kill them at all. You said yourself that they don't damage your garden. So why did you feel the need to kill them?

You probably haven't had the pleasure of having your front tractor wheel stuck in a groundhog hole, necessitating the use of your car's tire-changing jack to lift it, and trying to locate a piece of plywood or some plank to wedge under it temporarily.

And then there's the look on a guest's face just after (s)he has turned an ankle by stepping in a hole.

Once in a while they try to burrow under the foundation of your house, although that has happened only once in 40+ yrs.

They're not the worst of pests, but they are pests.

Anyway, as stated earlier, I no longer blast them.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:32 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Earlier this spring I had three baby groundhogs living under my shed. They were kinda cute, for rodents. Now there is only one ... Hawk bait. I need to trap it and take it out to the nature preserve.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:41 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
How much ground could a groundhog hog if a groundhog could hog ground?

That just doesn't sound right.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:08 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
They can *destroy* a garden. They will eat just about anything in it, chew plants off at the base, take a bite out of every single tomato. They leave holes that people and animals can become injured when they step in them. They are rodents and pests.

You may think they are cute, but for many people the best solution is to kill them, just like rats and mice. They barely notice if you shoot them with a BB gun, but they have no immunity to .22LR and up.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:48 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
Leave it alone or feed and befriend it. But don't kill it.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:05 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Catch the groundhog in a live trap. Maybe Animal Control has one you can borrow. Then either take it to Animal Control or take it about ten mile away & release it out in the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden