Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 06:11 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times

Advertisements

I had 4 sissoos removed in April and now have them coming up all over, front and back. I spray with round up but they don't seem to die. It's too hot out to go digging right now. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 12:26 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
Do you have a good nursery or gardening center around (not Home Depot or similar, but the real thing.) They might have some suggestions. Otherwise, you may need to talk to an arborist.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:50 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
This is exactly what happens with a crepe myrtle, and why I consider them to be invasive. I worked for 3 years on eradicating a couple of trees, tried everything listed above, and was only partially successful. One area, I covered with thick black plastic for a year and a half, and when I took it off, it all just sprung back to life.
Wait, you must be joking . You had trouble removing a crape myrtle here in Phoenix? This climate and especially the alkaline soil isn't really to their liking, so the notion that it's "invasive" here makes me laugh. If you get one to thrive here (Phoenix), you are a fortunate gardener. They're beautiful, small trees.

PS- Pardon me. I just realized this is not the Phoenix gardening forum. Perhaps crape myrtles can become invasive in favorable climates like the deep south, but certainly not here in Phoenix.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:16 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Oh wow, I have been nursing my newbie Crape Myrtle like crazy. If it were invasive here in the hot desert, I would jump for joy.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:53 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
The crepe myrtles were in central Texas. If you were in my shoes, you would not be laughing. These were 40 foot trees with extensive root systems. My yard was so seriously overplanted that there was no sun for anything. Some had to be removed. But they will resprout from maybe 1/2 inch of root material left in the soil. I lived there for 5 years, and had areas of my yard that were useless because of the constant resprouting that nothing could kill. And these sprouts produced no flowers, just 2 foot high, useless vegetation, not even attractive. They would come up in my lawn, in pathways, etc. In my experience, a crepe myrtle, once established, can never be removed.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,860 times
Cut down a Sissou a few years ago. Pulled up as many roots that were near the surface. Ground down the root ball about 10 inches below surface, and then drilled the heck out of the stump and filled the holes with Round-Up. Had some shoots the first year, but continued drilling if roots were fairly shallow and Round-Up applications. The process worked for me here in Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden