Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 04:08 PM

59 posts, read 76,657 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Hopefully someone can answer this as I've searched and have some ideas about this but a lot of the search turned up different scenarios. I had to cut down a lot of rotting/sick trees recently, and between that and the previous owners not keeping up with the lawn, we had to start from scratch. Brought in top soil, seeded and then fertilized and in the beginning it was alright (this is recent as we are just starting to see grass grow). However along with that grass are a lot of weeds popping up, and I'm reading a lot of things saying to just now them down. Currently I'm watering 2-3x a day to get the grass growing, but wondering what the best course of action is to get rid of these weeds? I should be fertilizing in another 4-5 weeks but is there any product that I can put down to help stunt the growth of the weeds while achieving grass growth?

FYI I'm in Long Island and I know it's not the best time to start this (End of May), but hopefully someone has a good solution. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 03:31 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,093,145 times
Don't know what seed type you put down, but like you said; here on LI this is the absolute worse time to plant a lawn. You are gonna get more weeds than you like, and with the grass being so tender, there is nothing you can do now to rid the weeds. The way I see it you have a few choices. Attack the weeds and skip trying to grow a lawn til the early fall, or you can throw down an annual rye seed now, which is a fast grower, and should crowd out most of the weeds. Then in the very early fall, plant your preferred seed.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:50 AM

Thanks for the reply - think when I put down the fertilizer again in another 4-5 weeks I'll put one with weed preventer and keep mowing the existing ones down each week.

Can't stand looking at them lol. Thanks again

Old 06-16-2016, 07:49 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Same situation here. Took down some trees and ground the stumps. Leveled the dirt around the stump area, and pretty much had to throw some seed down. I know it's the wrong time of year, but gotta try, vs just letting it stay dirt.

Anyway, tons of weeds, and I've just been hand-picking them. I figure 5 mins or so a day doing a different area helps me stay on top of it.

Come fall, i'll do a big lawn aerate/fertilize/seed job, as the majority of the lawn was fine fescue, and taking down the trees and letting in full sun has pretty much killed it off.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:27 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Weed & Feed August 2016
Lime in March 2017
Crabgrass preventer in April 2017
Summerguard June 2017
Over seed again Fall 2017

Old 06-16-2016, 11:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I agree with Weed & Feed, which is great for many common lawn weeds such as dandelions and clover. Be sure to pick off any blossoms between mowing, it will not kill new seeds. If you get anything that reproduces by the roots, such as creeping buttercup, it won't help, and they can eventually take over.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Weed & Feed August 2016
Lime in March 2017
Summerguard June 2017
Thanks for this. Any particular brands that you recommend for the Northeast?

I already have scotts step 1 and scotts new lawn fertilizer. I'm assuming not to bother using either of them for these except maybe the crab grass preventer?

Also, I looked at the new lawn fertilizer bag and it says to fertilize every 4-6 weeks. Should I be doing that on top of the above? Or would the annual rye seed like another poster mentioned be better?

Old 06-26-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Weed & Feed August 2016
Lime in March 2017
Summerguard June 2017

Any brands that you recommend for weed and feed? Also in between these is it advisable to put down fertilizer (starter or regular?)?

Thanks

Old 06-26-2016, 02:55 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,093,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason7613 View Post
Any brands that you recommend for weed and feed? Also in between these is it advisable to put down fertilizer (starter or regular?)?

Thanks
What camdium gave you is for established lawns. Your lawn is not established. Again; This is the wrong time to plant a lawn on Long Island. When it comes to a lawn, there is no instant gratification. It takes time and patience. Like I said above. Throw down annual rye seed, then plant the seed you want in the early fall. Next spring you will be amazed at what happens. If you doubt me call any landscaper in you area to see if they will plant a seeded lawn for you this time of year. Ten bucks says they will tell you what I just did.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:21 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
OP here is some good reading/instructions/care on lawns for Long Island:
Molloy College: STEP 3 - Is Bluegrass, Fescue or Ryegrass Best for Long Island Lawns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden