Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 06:02 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times

Advertisements

So I have decided I am getting a rain barrel. I have the perfect spot for it, and I am getting that part of my gutter system redone anyway, so adding a diverter will be relatively easy.

What brands/types of barrels do you recommend?

What brands/types do you NOT recommend?

Success stories?

Horror stories?

Some "must do" things regarding rain barrels?

Some "must never do" things regarding rain barrels?

Any and all tips, hints, pointers are wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 06:56 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,967 times
I will be interested to read the responses, as well. Colorado recently legalized this practice and I will be researching it this coming winter. Hoping I have the wherewithall to DIY that mess.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:22 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Make sure you know who "owns" the rain water in your area, and that it's legal to collect it. I know that sounds silly, but do a web search on the topic. Also, make sure it doesn't become a mosquito spa.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:47 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
It needs a screen on top. You don't want to breed mosquitoes. There should be an easy to use tap near the bottom.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:46 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It needs a screen on top. You don't want to breed mosquitoes. There should be an easy to use tap near the bottom.

As well as a tap near the top for overflow. The inflow from the downspout is nothing more than a gutter to downspout connector collar with a piece of screen glued in it.

I got mine from a fundraiser by the local Lion's Club. It's really just a big plastic drum. I grabbed some at school to make my own (eventually) when the custodians emptied them out. I don't remember what came in them.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:13 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Make sure the rain barrel is set up on concrete blocks or a stand so that the water drains out more easily. Remove the screen from the overflow at the top so that it drains quicker - in the case of mine, the overflow turned out to be just 4 little holes behind the screen. And once the tap at the bottom gets jammed up, for whatever reason, the rain barrel is useless. Also, if you get a rain barrel that has to have the tap manually inserted, they are a real bugger to put in if you have arthritis in your hands (I had to have my yard guys do mine). And make sure to use the Teflon tape sent with the kit, or get your own.

When I get one to replace the one that clogged, I'm getting one that has a hose already installed at the bottom tap to make it easier to water plants near my lakeside shed.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Make sure you know who "owns" the rain water in your area, and that it's legal to collect it. I know that sounds silly, but do a web search on the topic. Also, make sure it doesn't become a mosquito spa.
Thanks! Yes, we can legally gather rain water here. The city was actually selling rain barrels a few months ago (before I was seriously considering it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Screen on top - yes! This will help keep leaves and other critters out, too, I imagine. I'm thinking I should have it sitting up on a stand so the tap will be elevated a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As well as a tap near the top for overflow. The inflow from the downspout is nothing more than a gutter to downspout connector collar with a piece of screen glued in it.

I got mine from a fundraiser by the local Lion's Club. It's really just a big plastic drum. I grabbed some at school to make my own (eventually) when the custodians emptied them out. I don't remember what came in them.
Thanks!

I appreciate the feedback. I've repped all (except Dirtgrinder, apparently I've repped you too recently and I've got to spread it first...I'll get back to you!)

Keep it coming...

Old 06-15-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Make sure the rain barrel is set up on concrete blocks or a stand so that the water drains out more easily. Remove the screen from the overflow at the top so that it drains quicker - in the case of mine, the overflow turned out to be just 4 little holes behind the screen. And once the tap at the bottom gets jammed up, for whatever reason, the rain barrel is useless. Also, if you get a rain barrel that has to have the tap manually inserted, they are a real bugger to put in if you have arthritis in your hands (I had to have my yard guys do mine). And make sure to use the Teflon tape sent with the kit, or get your own.

When I get one to replace the one that clogged, I'm getting one that has a hose already installed at the bottom tap to make it easier to water plants near my lakeside shed.
Oh, great advice!

Thank you!

Old 06-15-2016, 07:55 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Yes, the overflow, too.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:50 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times
Look for a reason barrel workshop. They will charge you about 20 bucks and you bring home a rain barrel. We got 3 that way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden