U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 01:16 PM

801 posts, read 1,524,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Just realized I never posted a pic of them in winter.
Funny how 1 keeps its leaves and the other sheds them. Wish both just sheds them.

Pretty with a little snow on them.
I love all those comparison pictures!
And the winter one is nice to see, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 03:59 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,779,736 times
Amazing seeing the growth of these trees! I love pin oaks.

Old 01-12-2020, 01:54 PM

6,310 posts, read 9,497,367 times
That winter scene looks like there's a river but I know it's really your street. So pretty !

Old 01-12-2020, 08:43 PM

15,683 posts, read 7,759,612 times
Love this thread. Planted 10 pin oak seedlings last spring for erosion control. Not going to prune since they're in a remote spot. Curious to see what they'll look like without pruning.

Fast growth was the main reason for choosing them.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:08 AM

1,375 posts, read 870,166 times
I was happy to see this thread too. I have a blank slate that I'm going to build and need large trees and shrubs to anchor each area. I'll look more into the Pin Oak.

Do you have a lot of seedlings sprouting underneath that you need to pull each year?

Old 01-17-2020, 09:10 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,535,478 times
They are lovely... and I'm having to make a decision of what largish tree to replace my maple in front that is about to be removed (it's having significant probs) and was considering these. After reading this article, it probably wouldn't work for me in my location but you apparently have the perfect storm of conditions for them!
This is a really interesting little tidbit about pin oaks (geared to an Alabamian but still good info). If you have a high ph apparently the pin oak is not for you. They also change shape a bit as they age.
They are a beauty tho!
https://www.al.com/good-things-growi...e_pin_oak.html

Old 01-17-2020, 05:52 PM

71,716 posts, read 54,223,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Nice trees. Pin oaks are a good choice for urban/suburban landscaping because they do grow faster than other oaks.

Before planting these and even a little after I thought all oaks took forever to grow. I was amazed after a few years. Now the dilemma is how high and how much do I want that "bump" on the lawn around the base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
I love all those comparison pictures!
And the winter one is nice to see, too!
Thanks! Yeah, not sure why I forgot to post winter photos. Snow tomorrow so I'll try to remember to do another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Love this thread. Planted 10 pin oak seedlings last spring for erosion control. Not going to prune since they're in a remote spot. Curious to see what they'll look like without pruning.

Fast growth was the main reason for choosing them.

Cool!! Nice not to worry about pruning. Seems like no matter how high you prune, those lower branches just wanna touch you after some time. I'll be curious how yours does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I was happy to see this thread too. I have a blank slate that I'm going to build and need large trees and shrubs to anchor each area. I'll look more into the Pin Oak.

Do you have a lot of seedlings sprouting underneath that you need to pull each year?

Thanks. I have grass underneath so they have no chance. Probably why I haven't noticed anything. Squirrels do LOVE these trees too. I do have seedlings coming up here and there and even in my pots sometimes.

Also, the extra acorns that fall I just leave to breakdown in the lawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
They are lovely... and I'm having to make a decision of what largish tree to replace my maple in front that is about to be removed (it's having significant probs) and was considering these. After reading this article, it probably wouldn't work for me in my location but you apparently have the perfect storm of conditions for them!
This is a really interesting little tidbit about pin oaks (geared to an Alabamian but still good info). If you have a high ph apparently the pin oak is not for you. They also change shape a bit as they age.
They are a beauty tho!
https://www.al.com/good-things-growi...e_pin_oak.html

Thanks! I'll take a look at that later. Don't agree with the ph comment. I add lime to the lawn once a year, the lawn wouldn't look as good if it was low in ph. I have neutral-high ph soil. You made me curious what is the number under the trees now. Maybe in the spring.

Also.... I never once fed these trees. No idea how they're doing so well.

Old Today, 06:07 AM

71,716 posts, read 54,223,092 times
Couple of pics from yesterday January 30, 2020.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or