Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 10:35 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,916,374 times

Advertisements

Beautiful Trees Cambium
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 10:53 AM

83,509 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Lol. Case in point.

Been doing it for 10yrs and the trees are as healthy as can be. All people have to do is look around.

Our state is dense with oaks. They break more in summer because of the weight with leaves. We would be having Oak issues all around.

Dont believe what you read folks. Experience things on your own and learn from mistakes and successes. This goes the same for those claiming you have to "Rotate your crops".

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Beautiful Trees Cambium
Thanks!

Old 06-05-2020, 11:34 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,400,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
All people have to do is look around.
Yep, I agree.

If people look around, they won't see American Chestnut trees which were wiped out by the chestnut blight. Only a few stragglers survive and they're usually quite small.
If people look around, they won't see stands of majestic American Elm trees. Dutch elm disease wiped them out and continues to kill them once they get to be of significant size.
If people look around, if they're in an area that has been invaded by Emerald Ash Borers, they'll also see that most ash trees are dead or dying.
And...if they're in an area where oak wilt disease has reared its ugly head, people will see that oak trees are dying as well. All people have to do is look around.

You may be fortunate in that oak wilt may not yet be in your area, but what you have done in the past has no bearing upon what may afflict your trees in the future. As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...and there doesn't even seem to be a reliable cure for oak wilt disease.

Good luck with your trees. They're still very nice.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post

If people look around, they won't see American Chestnut trees which were wiped out by the chestnut blight.
That was not because they were pruned in the Summer months. Diseases happen. Airborne, pests, or within the tree.

Transferring trees shouldnt be done in warm months though. They need to be dormant for that but certain circumstances it can be done. (Need to constantly soak root ball) but pruning in summer is fine just based on my experience and mother nature constantly taking down branches in storms. In fact it's also good because there is enough energy to heal itself and form new growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Good luck with your trees. They're still very nice.
Thanks!

Old 06-08-2020, 02:59 PM

Just LOVE my Pin Oaks. Such beautiful trees now giving me the shade I always waited for.
Amazing growth & shape past 5-8yrs

June 8, 2020

At 5 foot High the trunk is 9" wide with a 30" circumference

I mean look at how they looked just 9 yrs ago! Crazy

Spoiler

Old 06-12-2020, 12:12 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
I'm looking at planting a pin oak tree for my backyard, very good shade tree and storm resistant. A good amount of acorns for wildlife as well.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:25 PM

Taken today June 12, 2020. I can't fit them in my frame anymore even being on the roof.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I'm looking at planting a pin oak tree for my backyard, very good shade tree and storm resistant. A good amount of acorns for wildlife as well.
Nice! You'll love them! I just had and keep having neighbors compliment them all the time.

The only 3 things I don't like

1. The hump at the base. Roots lifting the ground up is annoying when you have to mow around them and for aesthetics.

2. The way it keeps its leaves into the winter (I'm not a fan of brown leaves on the snowpack and shoveling fallen oak leaves)

3. Its a little challenge keeping grass under them because of the acorns smothering the grass, the shade from drooping branches (which is a plus in the summer though), and the roots. Some Lime and added compost helps all that though.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:58 PM

I added 2018-19 & 20 to the comparison. Wish I had same date and same angle. Or a timelapse camera on them all these years. Oh well.

We had a drought between 2013-2016. Hard to tell from this but we'll see it on the rings one day that there wasn't crazy growth.

2018-2020 its been wet but the pictures don't show it well because of the angles and the pruning.

Can't wait to count the rings one day.

Old 11-08-2020, 10:38 AM

Took a photo of them today. (right side)
Both same exact trees but get different amount of light at the base. The one on the right is always more redder but 2016 was an awesome red. It's really past peak today.

I have only pruned the lower branches each year. I want to keep them as natural as possible but in reality they are getting HUGE and I'm considering thinning them out. Really don't want to!

Looking up from underneath. I usually prune in Summer time. You can see where a few have been cut. Been healing nicely. Such healthy trees and growing fast! Never used fertilizer.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden