Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 11:49 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
Looks like you need to keep trimming, get your canopy to be around 16-18’ from the ground. Very nice though. My family planted 2200 oaks, black walnut, ash and cypress on our farm in 1988.

2200??!! NICE!! Wish I could plant more. Black Walnut, Ash, Cedar, Hickory, and Cherry would be on my list.

Yeah, I don't want to do too much yet just. I'm at 8-10 feet above ground right now. Each year the lowest branch droops so I prune them. In person these things are amazing..

Here's a view from my roof 2 weeks ago before we had 2 storms ruin the colors.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 10:51 AM

997 posts, read 850,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
2200??!! NICE!! Wish I could plant more. Black Walnut, Ash, Cedar, Hickory, and Cherry would be on my list.

Yeah, I don't want to do too much yet just. I'm at 8-10 feet above ground right now. Each year the lowest branch droops so I prune them. In person these things are amazing..

Here's a view from my roof 2 weeks ago before we had 2 storms ruin the colors.

Yes, they were just seedlings, 50 in a bag. Almost 1/2 of them died from the severe drought we had that summer. We replanted about 1500 over the next two years. They are beautiful (most). We really need to thin them out more but life gets in the way haha.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:22 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
I just planted two pin oak seedlings in my side yard about a month ago. Assuming they survive, I hope they do as well as the OP's trees.

Old 11-25-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I just planted two pin oak seedlings in my side yard about a month ago. Assuming they survive, I hope they do as well as the OP's trees.
Nice! They are beautiful and grow faster then a usual Oak. The Pyramid shape and color makes neighbors stop and stare at the beauty. The only thing I don't like is how the lower branches droop down year after year. Even if the lower branch is 20 feet high, that branch will keep growing and droop closer to the ground eventually..

I read a comment somewhere that you know its a pin oak when you walk underneath it and it takes your hat. lol

Old 11-25-2019, 05:42 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
I planted them toward the back of the lot. So, if I don't keep them trimmed up, it shouldn't cause any problems.

Old 11-25-2019, 12:42 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
funny, i was just researching these over the weekend with an eye toward planting them at my new house. i'm convinced.

btw - is there an easy way to distinguish pin oaks from scarlet oaks?

Old 11-25-2019, 12:46 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
I am planting one in my yard next year, Pin Oak trees are fairly storm resistant compared to most trees. I am somewhat concerned about oak wilt, though:

https://www.gardenguides.com/99042-p...-diseases.html

Old 11-30-2019, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I planted them toward the back of the lot. So, if I don't keep them trimmed up, it shouldn't cause any problems.
Keep us posted. Curious how they do. One thing I wished I did was set up a time lapse camera on them. Take a picture once a day for past 10 yrs. That would of been interesting to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
funny, i was just researching these over the weekend with an eye toward planting them at my new house. i'm convinced.

btw - is there an easy way to distinguish pin oaks from scarlet oaks?
Not familiar with Scarlet. I assume the shape of the tree would be different? The Pyramid of the Pin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I am planting one in my yard next year, Pin Oak trees are fairly storm resistant compared to most trees. I am somewhat concerned about oak wilt, though:
When we had a microburst June 30, 2019, I watched the Pin Oak bend but sling right back to position and not even a stick fell off while other trees were shedding.

I was trying to make sticks for kindling by hand and was amazed at the flexibility of it. Just didn't want to snap and break.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:26 AM

Just realized I never posted a pic of them in winter.

Funny how 1 keeps its leaves and the other sheds them. Wish both just sheds them.

Pretty with a little snow on them.

December 11, 2019

Old 12-11-2019, 01:42 PM

7,255 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Nice trees. Pin oaks are a good choice for urban/suburban landscaping because they do grow faster than other oaks. Foresters consider them weeds because their lower branch heights detract from the amount of blemish-free lumber they can produce. https://web.extension.illinois.edu/a...5&AskSiteID=87

Scarlet oak eaves & pin oak leaves look very similar-- deeply lobated. The scarlet leaves have a "c" shaped, while the pin oak has "u" shaped spacing between lobes. Scarlet oak also has acorns half covered by the cap; pin oak much smaller cap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden