Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 06:04 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,394 times

Advertisements

I understand that to improve the odds of growing a fruit tree, you would need to graft root stock that is well adapted to the area you live in.

Growing fruit from seed will work but the plant could be more susceptible to disease
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 06:30 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,793,767 times
I imagine it's a shot in the dark. I read all the possible negatives as I was busy sprouting my seedlings. On mine for instance they have very long thorns which is likely something they worked to weed out among other bad characteristics. The fruit in my case is excellent but the thorns make it painful to harvest them. I'm working on an idea for extended lemon picker device while I wait for this years crop.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
This is an interesting thread and I am curious about our tree. Here is the back story:

About 6 years ago when my daughter was in kindergarten, they did the "plant a seed in a Styrofoam cup" experiment. She brought it home and told me that it was an orange tree. They apparently took the seeds from an orange and each kid got to plant a couple in their cup. As with most of these "plants" I expected it to die within a couple of weeks or not sprout at all. Just our luck, the damn thing has thrived and is now about four feet tall and in it's fifth pot. We live in the Chicago area so we cannot leave it out for the winter because it will die. Now it is getting too hard to move in and out of the house. I don't believe it will ever bear fruit. Am I wrong in that assumption?

So.....what to do? I don't think that I can drive it too another state that is warm because of the agricultural laws. I want to plant it in the back yard and just leave it up to fate but my daughter would be heart broken.

TL;DR: We managed to grow an orange tree from a seed so, yes it can be done. However, don't know what to do with it.
I have a Meyer lemon in 5 gallon pot that I bought in CA and brought up in the car. It's given us 4-8 wonderful lemons every year. It stays outside about mid May to mid September. You can get plastic tubs with rope handles and cut drain holes to put it in so two people can carry it in and out, or put it on a small furniture moving dolly to roll in and out if no steps. The smell of blossoms in the house really brightens up the winter!

Old 07-05-2016, 08:26 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,584,840 times
Plums, cherries, pears, apricots back in the old country. More or less the same tasting fruits as parents, especially plums. That's how people planted them - dug up from a brush under a mother tree. But those were not designer grocery store varieties, folk selection, there were absolutely amazing varieties, including apples, I still remember taste and smell of apples grown from seed, no professional variety stands close imho. If many people grow trees from seeds, there are good chances to have a good tree nearby.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:42 PM

491 posts, read 375,392 times
it's all a function of weather. if you go through a cycle of warm winters and hot summers for 4-5 years, you'll get good growth out of trees from seeds. in the northeast, seeded fruit trees, saplings and young trees have suffered greatly these past 5 years because of excessively cold weather.

if you want fruit, without trying to be nostradamus about the weather, best to buy a mature tree and plant it.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:50 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,551,825 times
SATX56, I noticed you called yours 'Chinese plum...' and if it is the same as my Loquat, or Japanese plum?

The reason I asked, is mine-the Japanese; can withstand freezing temps. I've seen pics on the internet of them with snow on the branches, full of fruit-so technically the Japanese plum can take frost/freeze. Do you have a picture of the leaves? My Loquats have thick, deep green glossy veined fat spear shaped leaves. Incidentally, the Asian culture is also said to make a delicious tea from the fresh leaves, although I've yet to try it.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...h&q=loquat%2C+

Old 07-06-2016, 07:26 AM

90 posts, read 203,083 times
I wonder if I can buy the proper seeds so they will grow and produce fruit or do they have to already be starts and grafted from an exiting fruit tree?
The reason for my original question in this post is I have had 3 avocado trees and 2 lemon trees that were shipped to me. The avocado trees have all died and my last lemon seems to be thriving. I was thinking if they started as seeds maybe they'll be stronger and automatically be accustomed to the growing area. Then it doesn't have to go through the stress of when a tree is shipped, repotted, and then placed in an area not native to where it was started.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:45 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Growing from seed is the best and primary method of getting rootstock for fruit trees. At the 3 to 5 year mark you cna then graft edible stock onto these trees.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:00 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,793,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
SATX56, I noticed you called yours 'Chinese plum...' and if it is the same as my Loquat, or Japanese plum?

The reason I asked, is mine-the Japanese; can withstand freezing temps. I've seen pics on the internet of them with snow on the branches, full of fruit-so technically the Japanese plum can take frost/freeze. Do you have a picture of the leaves? My Loquats have thick, deep green glossy veined fat spear shaped leaves. Incidentally, the Asian culture is also said to make a delicious tea from the fresh leaves, although I've yet to try it.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...h&q=loquat%2C+
I started to call it a Loquat also in my post. I hesitated because it's been recent times that I've discovered that name and still get it confused with Kumquats. I may have yet to see a kumquat tree. We've always called these trees, which are plentiful here, Chinese plums. Just now wondering if it's a result of WWII as our Japanese tea gardens here were renamed the Chinese tea gardens for many years during and after WWII.

It does have long spear shaped leaves with fairly deep veining. Wouldn't call them thick though. The fruits are yellow with yellow meat and I think generally have 3 seeds in each. I can post a pic after while.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:38 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
I have grown some Citrus and Avocado trees from seed. And like most from seed, it will be some time, if ever, before they fruit.

What I and the rest of you should do is graft them.

But I would need the time to sit down and learn how to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden