Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 02:25 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,244,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
First, I believe our slavery to mowing lawns is ridiculous (I'm all about rock gardens and/or courtyards); secondly, I don't have a lawn mower or weed eater; thirdly, I'm only here for another year so I'm not going to BUY equipment; and fourth, services want an outlandish amount for what is just one small patch of lawn. So I decided to let it to natural this summer, but already it is so out-of-control that even I can't stand it. The area consists of an old (as in 100-year-old) brick "driveway" and then a patch of grass that is lumpy, rocky, and uneven -- not really amenable to mowing anyway. Basically, weeds are sprouting everywhere, including between the bricks to the point where you can't even see them anymore, and the "grass" is knee-high with even taller pokeberry plants and so forth scattered throughout. What can I do to this area that won't cost much, if anything (again, I'm only here for another year, so not interested in an investment or long-term solution), and will be easy, as I'm not a gardener. Some kind of "cover"?

It's called RoundUp. Buy a bottle, spray it everywhere and you're problem is solved.

SS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 02:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Would never fly here in a fire zone... no way no how.

Weeds/Grass/Brush must be maintained so as not to be a fire hazard year round...

Options are mowing, tilling, cultivating, grazing, herbicide, etc... natural is not an option and I find mowing relaxing...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-22-2016 at 04:51 PM..

Old 07-22-2016, 02:47 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
It's called RoundUp. Buy a bottle, spray it everywhere and you're problem is solved.

SS

I don't know. If I were his landlord I'd be kinda pissed if a tenant defoliated the yard of the house he's renting.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:47 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,811,321 times
I found a neighborhood kid on nextdoor.com who does my yard for $25.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:57 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
I'm talking a 10'x20' (at most) patch here, not counting the brick driveway (how do you eradicate weeds there) and, as I say, it's uneven and rocky, so that wouldn't be a "relaxing" mow. I'm not paying $1 a foot every week for nine months out of the year. "Herbicide" details?

Old 07-22-2016, 03:10 PM

I was looking for practical suggestions and not judgment and condemnation here (I know; I asked for it), but obviously I should've searched the archives before posting. Thanks anyway!

//www.city-data.com/forum/garde...ill-grass.html

Old 07-22-2016, 03:22 PM

6,545 posts, read 7,127,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You can find used equipment on craigslist and other places. When you move you can sell it or sell it to the people that buy or rent your place. If it is used chances are you can get your money back when you sell. When we first bought our home I purchased a push mower, as in no motor to turn the reel. Cost me about $90 at Walmart. Also bought a $35 weed eater. We ended up buying a second motor when the handle broke on the first. The second eventually broke. Then a year and a half we bought our first power mower from Lowe's for $125. Someone else had purchased it and brought it back within a week.

We have been thru four weed eaters probably because I keep buying cheap ones. Last weekend the bearings went out on ours and I am in the market for another one. This time I plan on getting a high end unit.
https://lanoequip.com/product/stihl-...EB1hoCsM3w_wcB

Do not buy a straight shaft one. It spins counter clockwise and sends everything towards you. These and 50 model are the only ones I buy for my lawn service. Super easy self loading and bump knob to extend more line out. Use .95 line while cutting it to a point with each line being a normal person's wingspan in length.

OP, I'm surprised the city hasn't sent someone to cut your lawn and give you a bill in the $300 range?!?! Failure to pay and it goes on your real estate taxes here. Simple, easiest, cheapest solution-spray everything including lawn with round up.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:33 PM

I'd prefer something natural (like vinegar), if that actually works. But if not, chemical death to the lawn. I might try the cardboard method next spring.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:29 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,196,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If I wanted or intended to just leave it the way it is, obviously I wouldn't be posting asking for solutions. I just want easy, cheap suggestions for solutions.
Sorry, there ain't any. Pick your poison and quit you're whining.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:50 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Only ways I know is to trim, or cultivate... i.e. turn over soil with shovel or use a hoe, or cover with a tarp or burn with a weed torch or use any of a number of herbicides if allowed in the jurisdiction and lease... some only work on what you see and others are long lasting... most will require mixing and a tank type sprayer.

Problem with herbicides is drift which kills non targeted plants plus proper safety protective gear as delineated on the label.

If herbicide is chosen follow mix instructions to the letter... too much is often ineffectual and wasteful... most take time to work down to the roots and too strong will kill off the top leaving root structure intact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden