Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 09:54 AM

1,751 posts, read 2,398,424 times

Advertisements

I love growing flowers and veggies but have a highly voracious and aggressive wild animal/bird/insect population that devours everything that I grow except hot (really hot) peppers. Fortunately I like cooking with hot peppers.

I am looking for hot pepper plant recommendations. I have grown many of what I call "in yo face" peppers that bring the hotness front and center. What I want are the "slow building burn" peppers that start off very mild but slowly build deep heat many minutes after you eat them. A friend recommended Guam Boonies (hard to find). Can anyone else recommend a hot pepper with this characteristic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 10:31 PM

706 posts, read 756,886 times
You might try "Filius Blue". They are decorative plus they fulfill your requirements, from what I understand (I don't eat peppers right off the vine, so I don't personally know, but I have asked the opinion of someone who does eat them straight off the plant). I've grown Filius and they can be prolific if you feed them well throughout the growing season. I use a natural fish emulsion blend every 1-2 weeks, which I apply to the leaves of the plants (aka foliar feeding). It also works as a soil drench. You can try habanero, but you must remove the seeds before using them if you want to get the flavor before the heat.

I found my Filius Blue seeds from Baker Creek in California.

Hot | Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

This is the fertilizer I use. A little goes a long way (1 oz to 1 gallon water), so I feel that it's worth the money. I've had my gallon jug for a few years and I'm still only halfway through it. If I had a huge garden, I could go through a gallon of it quicker. I would also go through it quicker if I used it as a soil drench instead of as a foliar feed. I feel it's best to feed the foliage since that's where the nutrients end up going anyways. It's usually taken up through the roots. You can bypass that by spraying the leaves directly. I do this only in late evening when the sun isn't shining on the plants. That gives the plants all night to absorb the nutrients and dry out before the sun hits them.

https://www.organicgardeningshop.com...us-Gallon.html

Last edited by freedomdove; 07-11-2016 at 10:51 PM..

Old 07-11-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I love growing flowers and veggies but have a highly voracious and aggressive wild animal/bird/insect population that devours everything that I grow except hot (really hot) peppers. Fortunately I like cooking with hot peppers.
It's so funny to see the attempts animals make at eating my peppers. You will always find a half-eaten pepper nearby the plant. Lol. In my experience, they never try that again.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
I feel it's best to feed the foliage since that's where the nutrients end up going anyways. It's usually taken up through the roots. You can bypass that by spraying the leaves directly. I do this only in late evening when the sun isn't shining on the plants. That gives the plants all night to absorb the nutrients and dry out before the sun hits them.

https://www.organicgardeningshop.com...us-Gallon.html
After using several types of sprayers for my foliage feeding, I've come to rely on the style that uses a pump and sprays continuously, as needed. Regular trigger sprayers will work in a pinch, but they are a lot of work on the wrists/hands--especially if you have a large garden. Normal spray bottles are really only feasible if you have just a handful of container plants. If you have a huge garden, you may need a back-pack sprayer.

https://www.amazon.com/418-2L-2-Lite...Q94F0C2WAEQPD6

https://www.amazon.com/475-B-Profess...RHGF5M31NJ***2

Old 07-13-2016, 05:23 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Carolina Reaper is one of the hottest peppers:

https://www.facebook.com/ABCWorldNew...type=2&theater

I'm not crazy enough to ever try anything more than a jalapeno. I can't see the joy in eating one of these!

Check out Piedmont Farm and Garden, they offer the best selection of not only peppers, but tomatoes as well.

Pepper Plants For Sale: Buy Pepper Plants Online: Piedmont Farm & Garden

Old 07-13-2016, 06:32 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post

I am looking for hot pepper plant recommendations. I have grown many of what I call "in yo face" peppers that bring the hotness front and center. What I want are the "slow building burn" peppers that start off very mild but slowly build deep heat many minutes after you eat them. A friend recommended Guam Boonies (hard to find). Can anyone else recommend a hot pepper with this characteristic?
Thai pepper (red) plants are hot, but it takes a minute to realize it, so that may fit your need. I never have eaten them fresh, just dried, used in cooking or in a grinder to kick up a cheese pizza. A little goes a long way. It's a nice compact plant with a good yield.

You can check out how it compares on this Scoville chart:
The Scoville Heat Scale for Chilli Peppers and Hot Sauces from ChilliWorld. Compare relative heats all the way to Blair's 6 A.M. - pure capsaicin.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Carolina Reaper is one of the hottest peppers:
It's also a fast burner. The heat is immediate. The OP was wanting a creeper burn, from what I understand.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:32 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,398,424 times
Thank you for your reply everyone, I replied twice but no neither are displayed in CD. I am indeed looking for the "creeper burn" for recipes. I have had some luck buying commercially prepared Ghost/Scotch Bonnet extracts that I have used on my veggies to repell all the animals that attack my garden on a daily (hourly) basis.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:54 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
If you want some heat that's just bearable try Chiltipin chilies. The birds leave them to grow volunteers everywhere here.

Chiltipin Chilies

Many restaurants here use some in their salsas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden