Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 09:23 AM

5,154 posts, read 3,762,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions. I would rather not be in a difficult situation with the neighbor. He is a nice chap who genuinely doesn't know much about lawn care (not that I am much better, but I do take care of my yard). I think the best solution for me is to try to engage him into some kind of professional lawn care.
I assume it is a relatively small property? Scotts only charges me $40 a month for 7 months. I have less than 1/5 acre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 09:29 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
I have the same problem...rental property on each side. I deal with it and grin and bare it About twice a year I buy weed killer that simply hooks up to the hose and spray...following instructions! I buy that which includes killing crabgrass in summer.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:35 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I have the same problem...rental property on each side. I deal with it and grin and bare it About twice a year I buy weed killer that simply hooks up to the hose and spray...following instructions! I buy that which includes killing crabgrass in summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
if you get a decent sprayer, that size is easily sprayed. that is unfortunately what we have to do too. Spray now and you'll be able to toss grass seed down in a couple of weeks to cut back on the weeds.

Can you recommend the weed killer brand/sprayer you folks buy?

Old 08-01-2016, 12:24 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
Can you recommend the weed killer brand/sprayer you folks buy?
I buy Ortho or Bayer from Lowes or Home Depot. I'm sitting right here looking at a bottle right now. "Bayer Advance Season Long Weed Control for lawns" it treats 7,500 sq. ft. No need for an additional sprayer. Just attach to the hose and spray. Throw the bottle away when it's empty. Some of these products kill weeds plus Crabgrass if it gets to be a problem. I usually get some crabgrass even though I use a pre-emergence in the spring.

Last edited by Poggly Woggly; 08-01-2016 at 12:38 PM..

Old 08-01-2016, 12:28 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
i tried a bottle didnt seem to work some of the grass just
turned yellow and some other was still green

Old 08-01-2016, 12:33 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Again as mentioned in another thread, I'm more than happy to recommend my lawn amending services for not only your lawn, but your neighbors lawn.

Take a look at this satisfied customer:

The excitement on this customers face says it all:

** DPK's "set yo lawn on fire yo" service is not guaranteed to actually remove your lawn and may result in significant damage to your and your neighbors property. It does come with a complimentary smore kit though, so there is that.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:08 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
Do NOT let the guy at home depot talk you into the knock off brand of Ortho. It will kill the weeds but also kills your grass. It works a little too well.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:35 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Sorry, I must have missed it scrolling through posts.
What exactly weed is it? I lived on an acre surrounded by forest and zero maintenance neighbor and I had NO weed coming in from either. Occasional blackberry that was easily pruned. Guy to the west of me had damn jungle in his place - I saw no weeds crawling or else getting into my property to the extent described.
If it's simple grass of some sort, cut a narrow ditch deep enough along the property line and install plastic barrier. That will prevent rooting into your place. Seeds flying? That will happen anyway. Unless solid fenced.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:40 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Sorry, I must have missed it scrolling through posts.
What exactly weed is it? I lived on an acre surrounded by forest and zero maintenance neighbor and I had NO weed coming in from either. Occasional blackberry that was easily pruned. Guy to the west of me had damn jungle in his place - I saw no weeds crawling or else getting into my property to the extent described.
If it's simple grass of some sort, cut a narrow ditch deep enough along the property line and install plastic barrier. That will prevent rooting into your place. Seeds flying? That will happen anyway. Unless solid fenced.
I'd have to agree with the above poster. My neighbors actually have 7 ft. tall weeds completely covering their back lawn, which is about 1/3 acre. My lawn guy just cuts my grass right up to the property line, and I don't really have any problem with weeds migrating over at all. My grass may not be the "perfect" lawn type (i.e., there's definitely some crabgrass in it), but at least it's all green and pretty uniform.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:46 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
I think the best solution for me is to try to engage him into some kind of professional lawn care.
Unless you are paying for it, he will not want to have professional lawn care.

Quote:
I talked to him about it politely and explained that his weed whacking is causing weed to grow all over my yard.
You are off base about that.

Just take care of any weeds that pop up in your yard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden