Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 06:46 AM

374 posts, read 548,933 times

Advertisements

I planted 4 30-gallon Globe Willows one week ago. Since then the leaves started falling and turning yellow. Is it transplant shock? Leaves aren't so perky anymore. They're weeping! LOL (Bad Willow joke)What can I do to help these things thrive?

Here's what I've done thus far:

Slow watered each tree for about 20-25 minutes per tree everyday.
Used drip water bags.
I used SuperThrive for the first time yesterday.

I was told by the nursery that you "Can't over water a Willow," but now I'm wondering if maybe that's the problem. I felt the dirt this morning. It is definitely moist 8" down into the ground. Should I back off on watering today?

P.S. I live in Dallas area and we have clay soil
Attached Thumbnails
Help with newly planted Globe Willow-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Allison81; 08-08-2016 at 07:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 06:49 AM

Here are some more pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Old 08-08-2016, 07:00 AM

Leaves are drooping some towards the bottom...
Attached Thumbnails

Old 08-08-2016, 09:03 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,915,303 times
Allison,
Keep it real moist, it's really a bad time of year for transplanting.
They don't look too bad, considering you recently planted them.
I usually water a newly transplanted shrub every day for 7 days, and use
Quick Start by Miracle Grow on them.
Since they are willows and it is August, just make sure they are really moist and
watered in as soon as the soil feels dry.
Did you mulch it? That will really help keep the moisture in the soil too.
Clay soil is excellent but for the next couple of years, keep them nice and moist.
Willows will always have to be kept nice and wet, even when you get no rain, so get
used to using your hoses.
Hope they take good for you.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Allison,
Keep it real moist, it's really a bad time of year for transplanting.
They don't look too bad, considering you recently planted them.
I usually water a newly transplanted shrub every day for 7 days, and use
Quick Start by Miracle Grow on them.
Since they are willows and it is August, just make sure they are really moist and
watered in as soon as the soil feels dry.
Did you mulch it? That will really help keep the moisture in the soil too.
Clay soil is excellent but for the next couple of years, keep them nice and moist.
Willows will always have to be kept nice and wet, even when you get no rain, so get
used to using your hoses.
Hope they take good for you.
Thank you. I used Miracle Gro Quick Start yesterday after having a nice, looooong, sloooow watering. I'll use it again in 7 days like the directions advise. In the meantime, I'll continue with SuperThrive (directions state you can use in conjunction with fertilizer which is why I also used Quick Start) and watering everyday. The trees don't seem to be getting worse. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think they are stablizing some. Maybe the vitamins from SuperThrive are helping.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:39 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Be very careful fertilizing a new planting. The roots are already dealing with different soil conditions and watering in addition to the roots system acclimating itself to those conditions. I never fertilize for at least 6 months after.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Be very careful fertilizing a new planting. The roots are already dealing with different soil conditions and watering in addition to the roots system acclimating itself to those conditions. I never fertilize for at least 6 months after.
Thanks. The Miracle Gro has a tiny amount of fertilizer, but it's mostly root for transplanting shock.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:42 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

Fertilize a willow?

Old 08-09-2016, 07:53 PM

17,343 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Water, water, water! It obviously didn't get enough when you planted it, not to mention you may have torn and killed some of it's roots. I don't know how much water those drip bags let out but it's not enough if your trees are drooping and losing leaves.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,019 times
Default Willow tree issues

Hi All

I'm having almost the same problem. Firstly I'm from Trinidad, so it's hot most of the days. I grew some willow tress from cuttings and they were doing fine, even after the transplant to a new pot. However a week after the tips of the leaves started to shrivel and get brown
I've been watering them constantly and they are indoors, so they get some some and not outside where it's been extremely hot, however I'm still not sure what it could be.

PLEASE HELP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden