Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 06:28 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,917,314 times

Advertisements

surferdude949 - I agree with everyone to get a landscape design and plan, then plan out the irrigation system, then get it installed before you start the landscaping project.

The house we're in, purchased about 3 years ago, has an irrigation system based on the original landscape design of lawn and builder's bushes around the house. I like color (more than just the green of bushes) so I'm expanding gardens, and in the process I'm trying to reduce the amount of lawn, but I'm faced with working around an already-in-place irrigation system that would cost an arm and a leg to re-do. I can change out heads here and there, but to reroute the piping would be an expensive mess. As well, I have to be aware that making some changes affects the pressure in a zone, either causing too little or too much according to the original layout, and that can create more problems.

Even if your landscaping project will go slowly - yup, I get it that such a thing isn't cheap - your best bet is to have the irrigation system installed according to your landscape design. You could even have your irrigation designer/installer lay out the zones according to your project plan so that you could fire up the irrigation system to run only the zones in the completed project areas. As your project proceeded you could turn on another zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 08:29 AM

730 posts, read 1,644,869 times
A lot of landscaping companies work with (or have their own) irrigation companies. This makes the process seamless.

If you are using separate companies, just get a drawing from the designer and share it with the sprinkler guys.

When we re did our lawn, the sprinkler guys came in to do the "rough in", and buried all the pipe etc and set up flags where all the heads will be. Then the landscaper came in and did the sod and bushes. The next day the sprinkler guys came in to install the heads and adjust the spray patterns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden