Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 10:01 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

The only thing that works is a fence, and it has to be a really tall fence. My neighborhood is full of yards with the original fence plus a 2 foot extension on the top, put on later after the original fence didn't keep the deer out.

Be careful with that dog idea. A deer can severely injure or kill a dog. The deer might run, it might not, and if it decides to stand and fight, you could lose your dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 10:31 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Fence. Very tall Fence.

All other soloutions (sic) are temporary at best. Might work for a day or two, but once the deer quickly figure out they are benign, they will ignore them and munch away--on everything!

No such thing as a deer proof plant (well, they usually don't eat daffodils, eggplant or peppers) and no such thing as an "easy" solution.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:31 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio2 View Post
Does anyone have any easy successful means of keeping deer out of their garden?

mothballs

Old 08-11-2016, 11:40 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I have had it with squirrels eating my bird feeders found another hole in the lid of the second one I have put. out there . they also ate some of my sunflowers

Old 08-11-2016, 11:54 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
At least the deer in your garden didn't give you Lyme disease. It could be worse.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:59 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
a dog. or perhaps a motion detector that barks

Old 08-11-2016, 03:07 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Does anyone have any easy successful means of keeping deer out of their garden? I've tried the repellant spray but you have to keep reapplying it. Last night I went out and those pests ate my okra plants, sunflower leaves, bean plants, peppers, tomato tops. I know the positive solution is to put in a really tall fence but that's going to involve time I don't have. I'm trying to think of an easy creative solution like maybe put rotten meat in a few places or even cat/dog poop or crack a few eggs around the plants and let them rot. Anybody have success with something simple?
I don't know how well this works but you could give it a try. Make the deer think you have wolves in your yard.
https://www.predatorpee.com

Old 08-11-2016, 04:51 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
You mean "rats on stilts"?

I let my dog out to bark at the deer. They won't come into my fenced yard because of the dog, so I have everything I care about inside the fence. The deer could jump it but don't because of the dog.

So the best solution is to fence your yard and get a dog, then fence your garden from the dog!
I have a hound that stays outside, he'll bark at them if he sees them, but he's also a hard sleeper.... they'll be in the backyard eating pears from my tree while he's 20' away snoozing.

But, they can have all of those pears for all I care, I don't like them and they just rot anyways.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:35 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Does anyone have any easy successful means of keeping deer out of their garden? I've tried the repellant spray but you have to keep reapplying it. Last night I went out and those pests ate my okra plants, sunflower leaves, bean plants, peppers, tomato tops. I know the positive solution is to put in a really tall fence but that's going to involve time I don't have. I'm trying to think of an easy creative solution like maybe put rotten meat in a few places or even cat/dog poop or crack a few eggs around the plants and let them rot. Anybody have success with something simple?
Coyotes have somewhat ameliorated the deer problem in my area, though Bambi is not happy with the solution.

Personally I'd like to see wolves and mountain lions reintroduced to the Catskills, Berkshires, Green Mountains, White Mountains and Adirondaks. Their venison diet helps us.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:36 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,357 times
A good fence is the best answer! We just have part of our property fenced to make a yard. Actually most of the fence was already here before we bought the place, but we've added to that and replaced some that needed replacing. It doesn't keep out the armadillos, raccoons and squirrels, etc., but helps keep out the deer and wild hogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden