Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 07:23 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,026,236 times

Advertisements

My Dad put this around his grapes and it worked, suppose to be for birds but has worked for the deer too. the tiniest of a breeze, this stuff just twinkles, very shiny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 08:04 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
They may well infiltrate on their own to the Adirondacks and Northern Maine and from there it's anyones guess. The "coyotes" that already cover most of the northeast are larger than coyotes in your area, sometimes form packs, and may have some significant wolf and dog blood in them. In my uneducated opinion they have already cut the deer population by 1/3 to 1/2, though that is still far above colonial era levels.
I've heard theories that the "coyotes" and red wolves may be the same species. Have there been sightings of gray wolves in those areas!nit seems that years ago the Adirondaks were considered for a site for wolf reintroduction.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:35 PM

35,054 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I've heard theories that the "coyotes" and red wolves may be the same species. Have there been sightings of gray wolves in those areas!nit seems that years ago the Adirondaks were considered for a site for wolf reintroduction.
Not that I know of but if coyotes are interbred with wolves and filling the same ecological niche that may be making wolf infiltration that much harder. See Will Wolves Return To The Adirondacks? - - The Adirondack Almanack and Adirondack Wolves - A Once-Extinct Species Returning To The Adirondacks, which I am now parsing.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:47 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post

My Dad put this around his grapes and it worked, suppose to be for birds but has worked for the deer too. the tiniest of a breeze, this stuff just twinkles, very shiny!
I used that ribbon to scare away the dozens of pigeons that were brooding around the back areas of my row house, they were gone within a week.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:09 AM

417 posts, read 345,435 times
When I lived in an area with deer, they ate everything!!!! I mean EVERYTHING, nothing was safe from them. We couldn't square off almost 200 acres of corn so we had to sit at the edge of the corn field and wait, we never had to wait long before one was in our crosshairs between my dad, my brothers and my uncles we would annually shoot ten deer and we would donate a few of them to the needy, we never had to worry about the population dieing off because our land and our county was perfect for deer, in the last couple of years they introduced cougars into our county and they have killed off most of the deer population Which is a huge source of food for a lot of people. The only way to get rid of deer is to shoot them or hope your local DNR introduces cougars or wolves.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:40 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
have you thought of sitting down with the deer and explaining your concerns? Seems like the civilized way to handle this....

This whole "build a wall" thing is very trumpian and, frankly, offensive.
lol!!

Old 08-17-2016, 08:49 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
When I lived in an area with deer, they ate everything!!!! I mean EVERYTHING, nothing was safe from them. We couldn't square off almost 200 acres of corn so we had to sit at the edge of the corn field and wait, we never had to wait long before one was in our crosshairs between my dad, my brothers and my uncles we would annually shoot ten deer and we would donate a few of them to the needy, we never had to worry about the population dieing off because our land and our county was perfect for deer, in the last couple of years they introduced cougars into our county and they have killed off most of the deer population Which is a huge source of food for a lot of people. The only way to get rid of deer is to shoot them or hope your local DNR introduces cougars or wolves.
Surprised you were allowed to shoot deer out of season even if you donated them to the needy.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:32 PM

417 posts, read 345,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Surprised you were allowed to shoot deer out of season even if you donated them to the needy.
We had nuisance deer tags because they would eat thousands of dollars of crops and you were only allowed to shoot on the days the tags said you could hunt.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:47 PM

My back yard:

Old 08-18-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
My back yard:
Picture in Post 49, post immediately above shows how fearless the deer are. I was maybe 15 yards from the deer when I took the picture and it stayed there about five minutes.

Last edited by jbgusa; 08-18-2016 at 07:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden