Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 11:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Excellent! Won't be any need to ask your good friend and contractor for a discount off a future project then, right?

Everyone wins!

It IS interesting to read this thread and get an insight into the mind of a client.
Nope - I'm going to ask her for a small discount on something, because I was very clear about the placement of the tiles and though the last few patterned tiles look ok, this is not the placement I requested. She will "get" what I'm talking about very well, since she and I discussed the "unrandom randomness" and placement of the tiles in detail before we ordered them. There is a floor in the store I ordered them from laid out in these tiles, and she and I stood there and counted out placement and square footage and which were our favorites, etc before ordering the five boxes of medallion tiles. Those have to be ordered separately from the other tiles and cost more per box.

So in other words, it's not a big deal, but it is a small deal - hence I expect some small compensation, and I'm sure she'll be fine with it.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable, and she won't either, and that's what matters in regard to compensation. She'll appreciate that I'm not asking for her to buy two boxes of tiles and come back in two weeks to work on the patio again, and I'll get some compensation on the next project - everybody wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Very true. Extra tiles can also be used for other things. They can be used as inlay for table tops and plant stands or to decorate pots and planters. Broken tiles can be used for mosaics.
I agree, and I've got extra tiles, so maybe I'll use them somewhere. In fact, I have an idea about how to use some of them already! Of course, I'll put aside some in case a tile on the patio ever gets broken and needs to be replaced.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:24 AM

OK, got some photos - I am sure you're probably all tired of reading about MEDALLION TILES but here are four of the six patterns (I didn't get a photo of the sixth one which is a leaf design because we only ended up with one, and it's my least favorite and it's already laid in the hot tub area so no biggie, and I have no idea how I didn't end up with the fifth one but trust me, it's out there somewhere.)

I really really really like all these. The one with the corner pattern is the infamous one that we ended up with more of than any other pattern. Good thing it and the round one are my two favorite patterns! (and I also ended up with a higher ratio of the round one too - only had a few of the other patterns scattered about.) The round one is the one tile that was broken right in half, and which we're using along the edge in two places - should look good. I'm actually glad it was broken because I would have had a hard time ordering it to be broken but it will look really good around the edge.

The last picture is of the progress as of about an hour ago. The tile needs to be washed down, but as you can tell, the patterns are VERY subtle. They show up better in real life than in this photo but it's a very quiet sort of look.

I'm excited! We also got them to make a BADASS serving table/island on wheels with a stone top that really complements the tile and the stone fire pit. It's got a leathered finish and then the base is black iron with two shelves and some hooks to hang grill implements from. It's island height so we can also put some stools around it for extra seating if we need it. I'm going to order some of those metal industrial looking stools - I think just two.

Good times!
Attached Thumbnails
Patio project - pictures will be included.  Major overhaul!-medallion-4.jpg   Patio project - pictures will be included.  Major overhaul!-medallion-1.jpg   Patio project - pictures will be included.  Major overhaul!-medallion-3.jpg   Patio project - pictures will be included.  Major overhaul!-medallion-2.jpg   Patio project - pictures will be included.  Major overhaul!-moving-right-along.jpg  

Old 09-26-2016, 11:25 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Nope - I'm going to ask her for a small discount on something, because I was very clear about the placement of the tiles and though the last few patterned tiles look ok, this is not the placement I requested. She will "get" what I'm talking about very well, since she and I discussed the "unrandom randomness" and placement of the tiles in detail before we ordered them. There is a floor in the store I ordered them from laid out in these tiles, and she and I stood there and counted out placement and square footage and which were our favorites, etc before ordering the five boxes of medallion tiles. Those have to be ordered separately from the other tiles and cost more per box.

So in other words, it's not a big deal, but it is a small deal - hence I expect some small compensation, and I'm sure she'll be fine with it.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable, and she won't either, and that's what matters in regard to compensation. She'll appreciate that I'm not asking for her to buy two boxes of tiles and come back in two weeks to work on the patio again, and I'll get some compensation on the next project - everybody wins.
Sure! Why not.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Sure! Why not.
IKR?

No biggie either way.

I will be SO GLAD when all this is done!!!!!!

Old 09-26-2016, 01:22 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
ok, looking really good.
i think my favorite is the far right the leafy effect tile.
once it is grouted and washed it is going to look great.
i love gray outside.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
ok, looking really good.
i think my favorite is the far right the leafy effect tile.
once it is grouted and washed it is going to look great.
i love gray outside.
Thanks, me too - can't wait to see it all done!

They are working away out there. Mexican radio station going and saws and all sorts of hoopla.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Mexican radio station going.....
As a fan of ranchera and mariachi music who thinks a happy worker is a good worker...I consider that a plus.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
As a fan of ranchera and mariachi music who thinks a happy worker is a good worker...I consider that a plus.
Sure, why not? That's why I haven't said anything to them, even though I don't personally care for that sort of music. They've got their mojo going.

They got A LOT done today.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:28 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Thanks, me too - can't wait to see it all done!

They are working away out there. Mexican radio station going and saws and all sorts of hoopla.
When I used to paint a room, I always put the classical music on like the Flight of the Bumble Bee, it made me paint faster!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden