Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 07:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

Is there such a thing as a small patio-sized collapsible greenhouse so I can overwinter some porch plants? Not looking for a cold frame but something I will only need for 3 or 4 months. I've found lots of small hobby greenhouses but nothing which touts being able to take it down and put it back up every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 08:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Yes, I have one though it's getting pretty worn after 5 years, from Harbor Freight. I only see the $89 6'x8' now, but this was under $30 and just 2'x3'. Something like this:

https://jet.com/product/detail/2d10e...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 09-14-2016, 10:05 PM

195 posts, read 216,534 times
I had the 6x8 one a couple of years ago for overwintering plants and the blasted squirrels chewed through the roof. It was a pain to put together but i think the smaller one would be the ticket. Big Lots is where I got mine, but probably wrong time of year to get it there now.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:34 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-HomeGirl View Post
I had the 6x8 one a couple of years ago for overwintering plants and the blasted squirrels chewed through the roof. It was a pain to put together but i think the smaller one would be the ticket. Big Lots is where I got mine, but probably wrong time of year to get it there now.
My sister and this one and it fit the ticket for her. The said she didn't have acres of plants.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:21 AM

Thank you so much for your link and recommendations. I had never been to that site and had fun wandering around. I found this walk-in style https://jet.com/product/Ogrow-Deluxe...7e2be01add3712

which might give me the room I need for airplane plants, ferns, begonias, etc. I can contact the manufacturer of both kinds to find out how sturdy and easy they are to reassemble. But since they are called portable, I'm thinking that is exactly what they are for.

Any other recommendations are welcome.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:31 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Which plants do you want to overwinter? These small patio greenhouses won't stay any warmer than ambient temperature at night without additional heat.

In my climate, I use them to overwinter plants which can't take the winter wet here, but are otherwise hardy (agastache, for instance), and to start hardy perennial seeds. Frost-tender plants spend the winter inside with me.

I have an earlier version of this one - http://www.shelterlogic.com/shop/gre...ard-greenhouse - and have been pleased with its quality. No tools required to put it up.

I also have one of these - http://www.flowerhouses.com/6-5-x-4-...ouse-pro-x-up/
It's OK for what it is, but the build quality isn't nearly as good as the ShelterLogic.

Last edited by jacqueg; 09-15-2016 at 05:51 AM..

Old 09-15-2016, 08:10 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Hmmm, this thread is giving me ideas.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:04 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Which plants do you want to overwinter? These small patio greenhouses won't stay any warmer than ambient temperature at night without additional heat.

In my climate, I use them to overwinter plants which can't take the winter wet here, but are otherwise hardy (agastache, for instance), and to start hardy perennial seeds. Frost-tender plants spend the winter inside with me.

I have an earlier version of this one - GrowIT® Backyard Greenhouse - Greenhouses - and have been pleased with its quality. No tools required to put it up.

I also have one of these - 6.5' x 4.5' x 6' HarvestHouse Pro X-Up - FlowerHouse
It's OK for what it is, but the build quality isn't nearly as good as the ShelterLogic.
^^^ This.

There is a huge misconception about greenhouses - I had it myself until reality slapped my face - They are NOT good for overwintering plants without some serious additions and modifications.

On a sunny slightly warm day midwinter, they can bring plants up to temperatures that will confuse them out of dormancy. On clear midwinter cold nights, they get astoundingly cold. Compared to the MASSIVE heat loss or gain through the plastic or glass, there is only a tiny amount of thermal mass.

Overwintering plants in a garage or unheated basement - or even a sheltered carport - can be safer and more effective. If you are a dedicated plant enthusiast, a conservatory room might be an answer.

If you factor the cost of the greenhouse, additional heating and labor, and the relatively short life of many of them and the percentage of plants lost, in many cases you would spend less renting a trailer and driving your plants to a vacation spot in Florida for the winter.

I wouldn't be so strong about this, except it might save a few people from huge disappointments.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I found that mine will be about 3-4 degrees warmer than the outside air if closed up, and as much as 10 if I cover it with a blanket before dark. Because I have some semi-tropical bonsai in it, I also have a heater for mine when it gets just above freezing. For overwintering things like Geraniums and Fuchsias, I use the unheated garage.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I found that mine will be about 3-4 degrees warmer than the outside air if closed up, and as much as 10 if I cover it with a blanket before dark. Because I have some semi-tropical bonsai in it, I also have a heater for mine when it gets just above freezing. For overwintering things like Geraniums and Fuchsias, I use the unheated garage.
what kind of greenhouse and heater? Is it permanent? Here in N.C. we don't get really cold (freezing or below )days in the winter but we do get some bad nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden