Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 02:34 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think we had a frost but my roses are still in bloom. NE Mass on the New Hampshire border--at sea level. Good thing I brought the tomatoes in.
That's the funny thing about frost or even a freeze and the actual "growing season end". We can still have frost or a freeze but then still have things growing. You most definitely had a frost.

Hard to put an exact on things unless we ended the growing season when we hit a hard freeze like 20s.

Nothing really "growing" here now. I got Roses that bloomed as well but the blooms are energy from previous days/weeks. If new blooms come out this month, then there's a problem. lol

December last year I had Garlic sprouting and Lilac blooming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 02:52 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
That's the funny thing about frost or even a freeze and the actual "growing season end". We can still have frost or a freeze but then still have things growing. You most definitely had a frost.

Hard to put an exact on things unless we ended the growing season when we hit a hard freeze like 20s.

Nothing really "growing" here now. I got Roses that bloomed as well but the blooms are energy from previous days/weeks. If new blooms come out this month, then there's a problem. lol

That was December? I love it! One year there was something still blooming downtown where I used to live in front of the bank. I kept checking on it and even wondered if it might possibly make it through the winter. Of course, one day when I looked at it, it had finally lost the battle.

I always love it when the brave forsythia start blooming late in the fall. hahahaha. Fools that they are!

Old 11-03-2016, 07:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Still no frost here, in fact we had a record warm 67 last week, and this morning it was 50 when I left for work at 5am. The geraniums are still blooming. We have had snow the week of Thanksgiving before, and almost always have frost by Halloween, so this is a treat.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
That was December? I love it! One year there was something still blooming downtown where I used to live in front of the bank. I kept checking on it and even wondered if it might possibly make it through the winter. Of course, one day when I looked at it, it had finally lost the battle.

I always love it when the brave forsythia start blooming late in the fall. hahahaha. Fools that they are!
Thought about you yesterday... Reached into low 70s when sun popped out (2 days of heat) and the Roses thought it was Spring. lol

Let me zoom in because its hard to see..

Really? Go to sleep new bloom! I'm sure it's about to die since we're heading near freezing tonight. lol

My other one ready to be pruned. New growth is bothering me. lol

Just realized there is a new bloom trying to come out bottom left.

Blurry closeup

Old 11-04-2016, 10:34 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
To say I am jealous of some of you is an understatement. On the news they are saying we are getting a cold front soon and we should expect night time temps into the low 60's. Shiver........

Old 11-05-2016, 06:22 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
We've had an incredibly beautiful autumn. After those two nights of light front temps came back up and all the maples and oaks have been slowly changing color and dropping leaves. It seems like so many years we go into colder weather so early and often get a good storm or two so that the trees turn brown and then are stripped of their leaves all too soon.

Not sure if the temp dropped all the way to freezing early this morning but it sure got very close. Heavy frost, even on rooftops. No longer can I leave the back door open all day and night and the heater even kicked in with the t-stat set to 57.

Onward to winter. If we have a mild one like last year you won't hear me complaining.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:28 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,255,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Yep, last December I was still gardening well into December here in NJ. We had one big snowstorm last winter (and yeah, it was pretty big), but that was about it. Frankly, I would be OK with never seeing another snowflake again, but I know others will disagree.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:29 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,255,402 times
Quote:

We bring some forsythia branches in and they bloom in the winter. Nice and cheery yellow!

Old 11-07-2016, 07:36 AM

This coming weekend... All done. Hard freezes expected north of DC I believe

https://twitter.com/WeatherNut27/sta...89557584560129

Old 11-07-2016, 10:44 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,147,819 times
Today was (unexpectedly) the first frost at my house in Charlotte, NC. Its still supposed to get back to 70 later today. Maybe this will at least give trees the jolt they need to drop their leaves before a hard freeze come through. I was still getting figs and tomatoes this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden