Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 11:25 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I'm not real keen on using roundup. I've seen recipes for herbicide using vinagur and orange oil with liquid soap.
Do you know if that is effective?
Kudzu will laugh at Roundup, you'll need to use something with triclopyr in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 05:38 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
Crossbow is what I use on Ivy, says it will work on Kudzu as well.....available at Tractor Supply.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 10-13-2016, 07:55 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
wait, are we talking about the plant or the poster?

Old 10-13-2016, 09:56 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I am also in the Asheville area and have both ivy (several types .. poison and otherwise) and kudzu on my property too. The goats suggested in a post above mine were not a bad idea! I have a neighbour across the street who keeps 2 goats and 2 llamas and his yard is bare! I believe there are people in this area who rent goats out for this purpose. Just have to be careful to keep them from the azaleas and rhododendrons (and maybe a few other plants which are poisonous to them - and of course if you garden, away from your garden!).

Otherwise ... just keep cutting it all down, over and over, and over and over. I cut down the ivy when it starts to climb on my buildings, and for years now I have employed people (initially with brush cutters - my stuff was really thick when I got here) and now with weed-eaters to keep it all down to a dull roar. Kudzu can grow a foot a day I am told if not kept under control. I did use Round Up one year (mostly on the poison ivy though - it was as thick around the stem and as tough as a tree trunk!) but didn't find it very effective and I hated using it anyway so I went the 'natural eradication' route and after about 8 years now, the main area is not doing too badly.

Whatever you do though if you attack poison ivy - wear a mask, clothes that cover every part of your body, and take those clothes off before you enter the house, shower down and keep LOADS of Technu on hand - even if you aren't allergic today, you could be tomorrow!). Luckily kudzu doesn't have that issue (and in fact, it could be quite a useful plant - it is edible and the vines can be used for rope).

Great post! Thanks for that!

Old 10-13-2016, 03:48 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I'm in Asheville NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I am also in the Asheville area and have both ivy (several types .. poison and otherwise) and kudzu on my property too. The goats suggested in a post above mine were not a bad idea! I have a neighbour across the street who keeps 2 goats and 2 llamas and his yard is bare! I believe there are people in this area who rent goats out for this purpose. Just have to be careful to keep them from the azaleas and rhododendrons (and maybe a few other plants which are poisonous to them - and of course if you garden, away from your garden!).

Otherwise ... just keep cutting it all down, over and over, and over and over. I cut down the ivy when it starts to climb on my buildings, and for years now I have employed people (initially with brush cutters - my stuff was really thick when I got here) and now with weed-eaters to keep it all down to a dull roar. Kudzu can grow a foot a day I am told if not kept under control. I did use Round Up one year (mostly on the poison ivy though - it was as thick around the stem and as tough as a tree trunk!) but didn't find it very effective and I hated using it anyway so I went the 'natural eradication' route and after about 8 years now, the main area is not doing too badly.

Whatever you do though if you attack poison ivy - wear a mask, clothes that cover every part of your body, and take those clothes off before you enter the house, shower down and keep LOADS of Technu on hand - even if you aren't allergic today, you could be tomorrow!). Luckily kudzu doesn't have that issue (and in fact, it could be quite a useful plant - it is edible and the vines can be used for rope).
I'm down in Greenville, SC and there is a crapload of Kudzu all up and down this area. I was just in Hendersonville yesterday and took 176 home and the kudzu is crawling in the road it's so bad. I did see some goats at the mall off 26 one time in the grassy area by Dillards. I figured they rented them to take care of a evasive plant problem. I have seen people advertise on CL for this service in the past.

I've see Kudzu jelly, and kudzu baskets made from the vines. The flowers are pretty, but, there is no way in heck I'd let that stuff in to my yard. There is some down the street from my house and it's everywhere in this vacant lot. It's horrible. Maybe you can smother it with heavy landscape fabric??? No idea how to eradicate it by oneself.

I also have English Ivy. My friend told me it's fine as a ground cover, but once it goes up the trees, it will eventually kill it. The one tree in my yard, a sweet gum, is mostly at the base and I've kept it cut back. There is some growing along the back of my property along the line which I have to cut from time to time. There's no way to get to the parts that are growing on the trees back there, it's sorta in a ditch area.

Poison Ivy - I've had it since I moved in to this house 6 years ago. It was really bad along the back and the side of my house. It was also climbing up many trees. I had a young man helping me clean up the yard who was no allergic to PI and was able to pull down the ivy vines with his bare hands I just get near it and I can get the rash. I have finally eradicated the majority of it, though it does pop up hear and there. Had to use Roundup to get rid of it. You may want to see if you can find someone who's not allergic to help. I'd still have them wear protective gear, they could become allergic again. Even the guy who took down a large pine tree wasn't allergic to it - I guess after all the years in the business he must be immune to it.

Good luck with it!

Old 07-04-2019, 11:18 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
I noticed a vine moving in from my west, over the tops of some trees.

Since I know some chemistry and a lot of physics, but not much biology,
I asked my son in law.

Yep: Kudzu.

On studying it here and elsewhere, I noticed some questions haven't
been answered. One is how high can this stuff climb?

I noticed the two tallest trees don't seem to have kudzu at their tops.

Old 07-04-2019, 12:49 PM

It seems to have been here for a while, but I didn't notice it before, since I was too busy dealing with other vines (we seem to have several) including the Virginia Creeper, that I mentioned a while back.

It seems to be coming up in my lawn (calling it a lawn is optimistic, but I am making progress).

I did some scouting along the road to see how far the infestation went, and notice another ground cover incursion that I can't identify. These are pictures of the unidentified ground cover I found down the road and the Kudzu (I think) in my lawn. The plants near the bottom of the first picture look different because a mower cut them a few days ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Kudzu eradication-100_1066a.jpg   Kudzu eradication-100_1068a.jpg  

Old 07-04-2019, 10:08 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
In the first picture the small short plants with the roundish leaves and scalloped edges is Creeping Charlie (Glechoma hederacea). It's a type of short perennial ground cover in the mint family Lamiaceae, it spreads by above ground runners. The flowers have a nice scent and the fresh cut leaves when mowed have an aromatic minty scent.

Information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glechoma_hederacea

Pictures: https://www.google.ca/search?q=creep...w=1120&bih=583

I don't recognize the plants in the second picture.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:47 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
2nd photo looks to be 'velvetleaf'.

https://www.google.com/search?q=weed...=1562301655870

Old 07-05-2019, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
In the first picture the small short plants with the roundish leaves and scalloped edges is Creeping Charlie (Glechoma hederacea). ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
2nd photo looks to be 'velvetleaf'.
Considering what I thought they might be, that could be good news.
I have had those before, but they looked different because of their location.
I can take care of those pretty easily,

Kudzu is a different matter.
That will be a war against an insurgency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden