Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 04:13 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Does yours fruit? I had one when I lived in SoFla. Mine never fruited but my BIL'a became monsters and took over a good portion of his yard. I almost criedwhen my sister said he took them all out. They came up to the roof of their tiki hut. Someone recently gave me a piece that's been in a greenhouse in GVL, SC that's over 35 years old. I'm not sure how it's going to fare, and what I will eventually do with hit. I just want it to live, and fruit. The fruit from monsterra deliciousa is delicious!!!
Didn't know that they did fruit! So far, no. Right now he is in a pot but I'm thinking that when get moved and settled, he might go into the yard somewhere in a place of honor.

As for the original, it was always fun to get him to survive the winter inside then we would put him on a dolly and move him to the outdoors, when it got nice again, where he would thrive again...until we had to cart him back into the house LOL.

I should mention, hubby is the green thumb indoors. I am the green thumb outdoors. He gets the credit for keeping houseplants alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 05:34 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,400,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Definitely our philodendron.

{snip}

We had him for 12 years. When we decided to move to Florida, 4 years ago, we were getting quotes from movers. We sadly found out that we couldn't bring Herman with us.

The people that took over our place agreed to keep Herman (a co-worker of hubby). They say he is doing well.

We bought another Herman down here and he is loving this climate. Not quite the same but...

I still miss our original Herman. After all, he started life the same time I started my new life with my husband.
My family had a Philodendron (named Phil) that got passed down the family for over 40 years. And then there was Son of Phil, Return of Phil, Phil Too, etc. Phil shuffled off this mortal coil at least 10 years ago but I believe his progeny still circulate amongst cousins several times removed.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
My family had a Philodendron (named Phil) that got passed down the family for over 40 years. And then there was Son of Phil, Return of Phil, Phil Too, etc. Phil shuffled off this mortal coil at least 10 years ago but I believe his progeny still circulate amongst cousins several times removed.
I love this

40 years! Wow!

It's funny how we name our favorite plants.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:25 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
Quote:
Didn't know that they did fruit! So far, no. Right now he is in a pot but I'm thinking that when get moved and settled, he might go into the yard somewhere in a place of honor.

As for the original, it was always fun to get him to survive the winter inside then we would put him on a dolly and move him to the outdoors, when it got nice again, where he would thrive again...until we had to cart him back into the house LOL.

I should mention, hubby is the green thumb indoors. I am the green thumb outdoors. He gets the credit for keeping houseplants alive.

The fruit is amazing, there's nothing like it. Takes forever to ripen though, months! You never want to eat it too early. The green knobs have to fall off. Best to put in a large cup, brown bag over it, and let them fall off, otherwise they make a mess!!!

Monstera deliciosa | 16 fruits you've probably never heard of | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post

Love the name! Hmmmm...is mine Phil, or Philomena???

I was outside today and can't believe I didn't remember one of my most prized plants - it's sorta outta sight, outta mind since a butterfly bush seeded itself nearby and obscures it, but it's my Bartzella Itoh Peony. It has not flowered yet, and last year I thought I lost it when a big roll of weed fabric mowed it down, but hoping I see some flowers soon!!!

So, I guess I have my Top 3 Plants - Bartzella, Edgeworthia and Miracle Fruit (named Tami) . Wait...Top 4, Phil/Philomena will have to be up there too!! Gosh, I hope I can keep it alive!!!

Old 12-01-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
The fruit is amazing, there's nothing like it. Takes forever to ripen though, months! You never want to eat it too early. The green knobs have to fall off. Best to put in a large cup, brown bag over it, and let them fall off, otherwise they make a mess!!!

Monstera deliciosa | 16 fruits you've probably never heard of | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Love the name! Hmmmm...is mine Phil, or Philomena???

I was outside today and can't believe I didn't remember one of my most prized plants - it's sorta outta sight, outta mind since a butterfly bush seeded itself nearby and obscures it, but it's my Bartzella Itoh Peony. It has not flowered yet, and last year I thought I lost it when a big roll of weed fabric mowed it down, but hoping I see some flowers soon!!!

So, I guess I have my Top 3 Plants - Bartzella, Edgeworthia and Miracle Fruit (named Tami) . Wait...Top 4, Phil/Philomena will have to be up there too!! Gosh, I hope I can keep it alive!!!
That is fascinating! Looks ugly but the description of the flavor sounds delicious.

I am going to have to keep an eye on my MIL's plant. We planted one for her and it is in half shade...

Old 12-01-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
That is fascinating! Looks ugly but the description of the flavor sounds delicious.

I am going to have to keep an eye on my MIL's plant. We planted one for her and it is in half shade...
If you ever get down to the Miami area check out Fruit & Spice Park

If you've never tried a Miracle Fruit berry, you should, that too is amazing!!!

Old 12-01-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
If you ever get down to the Miami area check out Fruit & Spice Park

If you've never tried a Miracle Fruit berry, you should, that too is amazing!!!
Maybe some day we will get to Miami.

That berry sounds bizarre. I had to google it

Old 12-01-2016, 08:35 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
A key lime grown from seed -- it's been through hell but still lives. In Missouri it blossomed and had limes but I moved to the high desert and had to cut it back to 1/3 its size to move it so it is now more of a bush. It lives in the garage in winter and struggles to make it to spring but it manages. The first spring in the desert I was sure it was dead and the day I finally decided to throw it away it had green shoots...it must have known.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:37 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
A key lime grown from seed -- it's been through hell but still lives. In Missouri it blossomed and had limes but I moved to the high desert and had to cut it back to 1/3 its size to move it so it is now more of a bush. It lives in the garage in winter and struggles to make it to spring but it manages. The first spring in the desert I was sure it was dead and the day I finally decided to throw it away it had green shoots...it must have known.
I had two key lime I grew from seed of fruit i ate. They grew to about 6' or 7' high but produced fruit so seldom not worth having. They were so thorny and gnarly I cut them both down to the ground recently. I've done the same with lemons. They are producing like crazy even after being cut back severely after a hard freeze a few years ago. My most prized plant was my hanging Hoya Carnosa. I let it die from neglect a couple years ago. Too many irons in the fire here.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I had two key lime I grew from seed of fruit i ate. They grew to about 6' or 7' high but produced fruit so seldom not worth having. They were so thorny and gnarly I cut them both down to the ground recently. I've done the same with lemons. They are producing like crazy even after being cut back severely after a hard freeze a few years ago. My most prized plant was my hanging Hoya Carnosa. I let it die from neglect a couple years ago. Too many irons in the fire here.

Spending too much time on CD???

And with that close observation, I'm off to the garden to try and plant some of the 40 plants that need to get in the ground that have been sitting here forever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden