Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 09:53 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,167 times

Advertisements

Where do you buy your vegetable seeds, and how do you choose which specific ones to get (brand)?

My family plants a backyard vegetable garden most summers. We're in the Chicago area. The results are a bit inconsistent, but improved after setting up raised beds with better soil. Now I think we need to work on starting with better seeds. My brother does most of the planting. He picks up most seeds at a local gardening place.

Things that we planted this year that grew well...

Tomatoes, cherry tomatoes
Beets
Chard
Carrots
Lettuce
small green peppers
cucumbers

Most were grown from seeds, but the tomatoes started with small plants from the local farmer's market or gifts from friends.

Several of them didn't taste very good (carrots were bitter, peppers were bland, cucumbers were bland), and even the robustly growing beets were not very tasty. All the greens were ok.

Past recent failures include spinach, melons, broccoli.

My father used to plant a huge garden when we were kids, and he remembers Burpees being a good source. What do you guys recommend now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 12:04 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
I've always had good luck just buying seeds from the grocery store. The seeds are usually Burpee and Ed Hume, couple other suppliers.

Maybe your soil, amount of water, and amount of sunshine might be lacking?

Old 12-10-2016, 12:16 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
Johnny's Seeds. They have great seeds, I'm growing some grape tomatoes and red bells from them right now.
Used them for years, and the veggies are never bland. Are you perhaps over watering, that can cause a less tasteful veggie...
Johnny's Selected Seeds

Old 12-10-2016, 12:22 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
They dont grow seeds for taste, it is a matter of luck not brand to find something decent working with your soil. To get lucky you need to try a lot of seeds.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:30 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
I used to buy mine from gourmetseed.com. I only get Ambrosia melon seeds from Burpees, it's their specialty.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:58 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
Many states sell seeds through their agriculture extensions (sometimes through universities) for varieties / strains that have been specifically developed to grow in that state's climate and with resistance to local pests. Here in Hawaii for example they have developed strains of tight husked corn to resist various pests that would otherwise destroy the crop, among other things. We also have local seed companies that sell strains of vegetables etc especially suited to our climate. Most of the national "off the shelf" seed packets don't do well here.

You may want to check for similar options in your area.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Many states sell seeds through their agriculture extensions (sometimes through universities) for varieties / strains that have been specifically developed to grow in that state's climate and with resistance to local pests. Here in Hawaii for example they have developed strains of tight husked corn to resist various pests that would otherwise destroy the crop, among other things. We also have local seed companies that sell strains of vegetables etc especially suited to our climate. Most of the national "off the shelf" seed packets don't do well here.

You may want to check for similar options in your area.

This is interesting.

My remembered that many years ago, he went to a plant sale at a local community college. This college had some agricultural classes, and they would have a fair every year where they would sell vegetable plants. He said that those were among the best he ever planted.

Thanks for reminding me of this. Next year, we will try to seek out something like this.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:57 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions for seed sources.

The area we plant gets very good sun. Unlikely that it is overwatered, but slightly possibility it is underwatered....

Old 12-10-2016, 09:01 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,307 times
I have been getting mine from Baker's seeds. They have some unusual Heirloom seeds that I have had good luck with.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:34 PM

352 posts, read 386,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Johnny's Seeds. They have great seeds, I'm growing some grape tomatoes and red bells from them right now.
Used them for years, and the veggies are never bland. Are you perhaps over watering, that can cause a less tasteful veggie...
Johnny's Selected Seeds
A second for Johnny's, but also be sure to get the retail home garden catalog from Harris Seeds in NY.
Flower & Vegetable Seeds, Plants & Gardening Supplies

These two companies are good because they serve both wholesale and retail customers and have many of the latest varieties, both from their own breeding programs as well as from other suppliers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden