U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2016, 05:31 PM

4,635 posts, read 13,027,137 times

Advertisements

I'm posting from New Hampshire, where the days are growing shorter and the nights are getting colder. I brought my potted mandevilla plants into the house a number of weeks ago, and they are shedding leaves like crazy (as expected). I'm not sure if I'll be able to get them thru the winter, but we'll give it a try... Realizing that they are tropicals and love the heat and humidity, I'm sure they'll look terrible (if even alive) by spring, as the inside of our home is typically between 60 and 70 through the winter, and the air can get terribly dry (we heat partially with wood, which dries the air even more...)

When I brought them inside, I noticed that both plants had a number of long, bean-type pods, and today I noticed that they have split, revealing seeds that resemble tiny little milkweed seeds with silk attached. I'd love to plant them, but everything I'm reading says that they need bright + moisture. My question is if I leave the seeds in an envelope inside the house, will they be viable in spring for planting? My daughter is heading for Florida for a few days, and I'll give them to her to pass along to someone there if they won't be any good for planting up here.

Thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden