Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 10:20 AM

6,874 posts, read 7,835,444 times

Advertisements

Camellias, hellebores in Raleigh NC.

Actually, my mums are hanging on still...we haven't had much cold weather.

I don't know how to prune camellias to keep a nice shape, so they are leggy and scraggly. But hellebores are the best, they spread them selves (self seeding? I'm not sure of the mechanism) so I have many more than when I moved in 5 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 10:35 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,321,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Camellias, hellebores in Raleigh NC.

Actually, my mums are hanging on still...we haven't had much cold weather.

I don't know how to prune camellias to keep a nice shape, so they are leggy and scraggly. But hellebores are the best, they spread them selves (self seeding? I'm not sure of the mechanism) so I have many more than when I moved in 5 years ago.

actually, camellias are rather tolerant of pruning---you can generally cut them back hard to the main trunk and they will come back (assuming the plant is in good shape with good care otherwise) OR you can be more gentle and just cut back the leggy/straggly growth to fit the shape you want---look for dormant buds on the branch and remove whatever you don't want just above the bud. it's just like controlling size on roses during their growing season.

hope this helps.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrin333 View Post
I have got firethorn,heather and camellia.I had doubts about them when I planted them first but they have grown faithfully over the winter. I have stored the more delicate plants in the wooden shed that I bought from a garden shed store (Backyard Garden & Storage Sheds Hamilton | In The Back Yard ) behind my garden. I would like to try growing potatoes over the winter.Has anybody ever tried them yet?

heaths and heathers can be wonderful at this time of year with their flowers and the colored foliage types can be just as attractive (sometimes even more so) than the flowers. they can make great ground covers too in and out of flower.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:09 AM

50,099 posts, read 63,480,500 times
I have what I think is a gerbera daisy that is blooming now. Also, the knockout roses are hanging in.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:44 PM

50,099 posts, read 63,480,500 times
Loropetatum. Coastal Georgia.

Last edited by gentlearts; 12-24-2020 at 07:07 AM..

Old 01-05-2017, 06:03 PM

3,963 posts, read 4,208,558 times
My amaryllis will be blooming by some time next month. But I guess that would be cheating. Since it is in a pot on top of my refrigerator.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
My amaryllis will be blooming by some time next month. But I guess that would be cheating. Since it is in a pot on top of my refrigerator.

yes, it's kind of "cheating" (in the sense that the question was probably more about outdoor plants braving the possible winter cold to flaunt their flowers) BUT at this time of year ANY flower, ANY place can be a blessed event and good to share with others.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 01-05-2017 at 06:24 PM..

Old 01-06-2017, 04:18 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,555,042 times
^^Your plant life seems to be very similar to mine.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:13 AM

3,963 posts, read 4,208,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
yes, it's kind of "cheating" (in the sense that the question was probably more about outdoor plants braving the possible winter cold to flaunt their flowers) BUT at this time of year ANY flower, ANY place can be a blessed event and good to share with others.
Yep. That's why I always plant an amaryllis on January 1. It gives me some hope when I am desperate to see flowers. I wish I had things blooming in my garden right now!

For some reason, my "Lime Rickey" heuchera is multiplying like crazy -- in the winter. It has lots of new shoots that are starting to crowd out a hellebore. Go figure. Not a flower, but I will take the nice green color!

Old 01-06-2017, 09:39 AM

684 posts, read 435,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Yep. That's why I always plant an amaryllis on January 1. It gives me some hope when I am desperate to see flowers. I wish I had things blooming in my garden right now!

For some reason, my "Lime Rickey" heuchera is multiplying like crazy -- in the winter. It has lots of new shoots that are starting to crowd out a hellebore. Go figure. Not a flower, but I will take the nice green color!
Since you mentioned an "Amaryllis in a pot on top of my refrigerator", may I add
the 4 paperwhite Narcisii blooming smilingly right next to me,
plus the 4 red, & Blue Hyacinths that are still finding their way UP.
Too 10 Geraniums still bloom, yes all inside the house.
as I didn't want to be 'off-topic', I didn't mention these, & others too, before.

Now that you mention it, I must investigate that "Lime Rickey" heuchera... Any previous threads here on Heucheras ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden