Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:41 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I get what you are saying, but I think there are plenty of weeds and wildflowers left in the world, without worrying about all the guys who groove on having a perfect lawn. After all, a perfect lawn is a thing of beauty too.
I'm not so sure about that.

When I see a perfect lawn, I see the pesticides/herbicides that are usually needed to keep it that way, even in my very lawn-friendly climate.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:44 AM

678 posts, read 437,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Not funny.
Hi Reactionary,

Quite alright. We are each entitled to our own opinions. May you too enjoy a Blessed day.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:54 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 rainbows View Post
Forgive me. - Today after wandering around... in the religious & psychology & political forums of
this place, i went AARGH ! it's enuf to drive one craz-ier
so
Here's a good story, related to Gardening: GOD'S THOUGHTS ON LAWNS
I read about 9 years ago, ever heard it ?

GOD: Frank, you know all about gardens and nature. What in the world is going on down there on the planet? What happened to the dandelions, violets, thistle and stuff I started eons ago? I had a perfect, no-maintenance garden plan. Those plants grow in any type of soil, withstand drought and multiply with abandon. The nectar from the long lasting blossoms attracts butterflies, honey bees and flocks of songbirds. I expected to see a vast garden of colors by now. But all I see are these green rectangles.
ST. FRANCIS: It's the tribes that settled there, Lord. The Suburbanites. They started calling your flowers "weeds" and went to great lengths to kill them and replace them with grass.
GOD: Grass? But it's so boring. It's not colorful. It doesn't attract butterflies, birds and bees, only grubs and sod worms. It's sensitive to temperatures. Do these Suburbanites really want all that grass growing there?
ST. FRANCIS: Apparently so, Lord. They go to great pains to grow it and keep it green. They begin each spring by fertilizing grass and poisoning any other plant that crops up in the lawn.
GOD: The spring rains and warm weather probably make grass grow really fast. That must make the Suburbanites happy.
ST. FRANCIS: Apparently not, Lord. As soon as it grows a little, they cut it - sometimes twice a week.
GOD: They cut it? Do they then bail it like hay?
ST. FRANCIS: Not exactly, Lord. Most of them rake it up and put it in bags.
GOD: They bag it? Why? Is it a cash crop? Do they sell it?
ST. FRANCIS: No Sir. Just the opposite. They pay to throw it away.
GOD: Now let me get this straight. They fertilize grass so it will grow. And when it does grow, they cut it off and pay to throw it away?
ST. FRANCIS: Yes, Sir.
GOD: These Suburbanites must be relieved in the summer when we cut back on the rain and turn up the heat. That surely slows the growth and save them a lot of work.
ST. FRANCIS: >>> You aren't going to believe this Lord. When the grass stops growing so fast, they drag out hoses and pay more money to water it so they can continue to mow it and pay to get rid of it.
GOD: What nonsense!. At least they kept some of the trees. That was a sheer stroke of genius, if I do say so myself. The trees grow leaves in the spring to provide beauty and shade in the summer. In the autumn they fall to the ground and form a natural blanket to keep moisture in the soil and protect the trees and bushes. Plus, as they rot, the leaves form compost to enhance the soil. It's a natural circle of life.
ST. FRANCIS: >>> You better sit down, Lord. The Suburbanites have drawn a new circle. As soon as the leaves fall, they rake them into great piles and pay to have them hauled away.
GOD: No. What do they do to protect the shrub and tree roots in the winter and to keep the soil moist and loose?
ST. FRANCIS: >>> After throwing away the leaves, they go out and buy something which they call mulch. They haul it home and spread it around in place of the leaves.
GOD: And where do they get this mulch?
ST. FRANCIS: >>> They cut down trees and grind them up to make the mulch.
GOD: Enough ! I don't want to think about this anymore.

St. Catherine, you're in charge of the arts. What movie have you scheduled for us?
ST.CATHERINE: Dumb & Dumber, Lord. It's a really stupid movie about ...
GOD: Never mind, I just heard the whole story

Really educational HUMOR is good. Agreed ?

Funny! Thanks for the laugh!

Old 01-13-2017, 10:55 AM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times
2 rainbows I enjoyed reading your post.Thank you.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:19 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I understand the argument against all available land being used for uniform lawns, and I certainly understand that there are vast swaths of the inhabited Earth where lawns don't properly belong at all. In fact, my own property is 100% xeriscaped and I heartily encourage anyone living in my climate and ecological zone to minimize or eliminate lawns entirely.

But what I don't understand is the unilateral disdain that many have for the mere concept of a lawn. In moderation, a well kept lawn is part of a mosaic of human tended and natural landscapes. In areas where lawns require minimal irrigation, pesticides and herbicides, they can be a beautiful adjunct to the natural surroundings, not to mention a very useful 'break' around dwellings for disease vectors such as ticks and rodents.

As much as they are considered an unnecessary vanity, the lawn has its origin as a functional use of land. It's existence predates the French and English aristocratic manors that are often pointed out as their origin.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:21 AM

678 posts, read 437,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
..."Stories like that are made up to push an agenda "...

Yes, and belong in the "Green living forum "
Hello mr Stone,

am quite new to this city-data place. so there's a separate 'green living' forum ? Separated ? from Gardening...
this is getting more bizarre by the minute. And to think I arrived here from a Garden-encyclopedia.

other than for too many to endlessly complain ..., you could ask yourself why else "forums" have
the opportunity to exist like for
LEARNING POSITIVE skills.

I started a discussion on "Forest-gardening" for example, if that's also senselessly complained about, why post here at all anymore ?

Old 01-13-2017, 11:31 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
..........."Stories like that are made up to push an agenda "...

Yes, and belong in the "Green living forum "..
????? Seems to me that a discussion about lawns is entirely at home in the Gardening forum.

If you feel differently, please report it to the mods. They'll move it, we'll find it, and carry on.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:48 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
????? Seems to me that a discussion about lawns is entirely at home in the Gardening forum.

If you feel differently, please report it to the mods. They'll move it, we'll find it, and carry on.
Don't believe I have a problem with a " discussion about lawns "

Just wonder why one has to fabricate a hypothetical conversation about God to have that discussion.

yes, this is a forum on "lawns", but if one goes to the Pet forum to bash dogs they will be told to leave.

It also appears I was not the only poster who felt that the long hypothetical post about God was just a smokescreen to bash lawns.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:52 AM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
A discussion about lawns would be at home in the gardening forum.

A fictional story pushing an agenda is not a discussion, though...

Last edited by Pitt Chick; 01-13-2017 at 12:50 PM..

Old 01-13-2017, 11:52 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 rainbows View Post
Hello mr Stone,

am quite new to this city-data place. so there's a separate 'green living' forum ? Separated ? from Gardening...
this is getting more bizarre by the minute. And to think I arrived here from a Garden-encyclopedia.

other than for too many to endlessly complain ..., you could ask yourself why else "forums" have
the opportunity to exist like for LEARNING POSITIVE skills.

I started a discussion on "Forest-gardening" for example, if that's also senselessly complained about, why post here at all anymore ?
I read your OP on "Forest-gardening" and even replied.

I don't recall reading about God lamenting about trees getting cut down, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden