Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2017, 07:20 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times

Advertisements

Ok, 4 acres or so of mowing to do.
For some reason, lawn is VERY bumpy. It physically hurts to be done after several hours on the mower.
So I started thinking about harrowing it spring time, before grass sprouts and, maybe doing it once or twice again through the year. Figure should also level all the beautiful mole mounds..

Question: Has anyone harrowed successfully for leveling a lawn? As in - ridding of bumps in the soil? Tractor supply here has a 6 by 8 harrow for around $400 and I have tech enough to drag it.

Again, for leveling, smoothing the bumps?

Thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 11:32 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
What kind of harrow - chain harrow, disc harrow or spike harrow? I've not seen harrows used on lawns, only on hay pastures and crop fields. But then, the soil conditions in my location are likely quite different from what they are like where you are, so who knows?

Chain harrow might work, disc or spike harrows would likely make a mess but I think for an established lawn a roller would be better than even a chain harrow. If I was planning on levelling a lawn without tearing up any sod then a roller is the only thing I'd use.

Here is a conversation in a tractor forum that might help you with ideas, the poster was asking a similar question:

How about a chain harrow to smooth lawn?

Old 01-15-2017, 08:16 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Good link, thank you.
I think, this sums it up:

How about a chain harrow to smooth lawn?

I have a chain harrow, and think it's the wrong tool for the job you want done. They'd work fine if you were smoothing dirt work BEFORE seeding. But you're talking sod now. Chain harrow are extremely flexible, and therefore terrain following. You will in effect perform a very coarse dethatching job.

Unless I attach a flat piece of plywood of same size onto the harrow and load few blocks to keep it dug in. Or, ask buddy to weld me a frame harrow with spikes. So it's rigid.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:04 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
A harrow will not work. If the problem isn't tree roots, then the best idea would be to use a heavy roller. The degree of moisture in the soil needs to be perfect (not too wet, not completely dry and hard. Other than that, buy a better seat for the riding mower. They should have some sort of springs and a good cushion.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:15 PM

30,492 posts, read 16,202,768 times
just mow an acre and brush hog the rest once or twice a summer.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:41 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,382,516 times
we used to mix dirt and sand, dump it in little piles and then pull a 6 foot length of 2x10 with 1 foot pieces of chain trailing behind attached to small tractor with chains. Go round and round and round.............. Do it spring and fall until you are happy with result. BTW using a disc on established burmuda will work also and will NOT kill the grass. But it takes a real tractor to pull a real disc

Old 01-16-2017, 08:01 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,871,621 times
What are you going to be pulling it with? You "can" get it smooth, but its going to take a good bit of time to do so. You will have to go over it enough times to bust up all the clods that are going to be left. Our fields were almost always smooth, but they were plowed every year, sometimes twice a year. Some plows also leave a "trench", just the way they work. These were never an issue with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden