Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:01 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,156,393 times

Advertisements

Speed Zone is not intended for Crabgrass that has already germinated.

NC211 has some good experience in this area.

For the one or two sprigs of Crabgrass I may get each year, I typically just use Weed B Gon with Crabgrass Control.

I always make sure to apply Dimension and then do a second application 90 days later for summer long control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Do TZone or Speed Zone work effectively as post-emergents spot treatment for most broadleaf weeds? What about on crabgrass? The prodiamine (Barricade) did a lot to prevent the crabgrass, but there are still a few around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 10:11 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Dandelions....I have tons of them. How can I get rid of them once established? Right now they are all "yellow" so I def want to do something soon before they go to seed.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:51 AM

First cut the grass WITH THE CATCHER... Dont want all those seeds hitting the ground.

Then spray with either of the two mentioned herbicides.

The thicker the lawn and taller you cut it, less opportunity for weeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Dandelions....I have tons of them. How can I get rid of them once established? Right now they are all "yellow" so I def want to do something soon before they go to seed.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:43 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
To kill off the crabgrass, no matter how mature it may be, I highly highly recommend something called "Drive XLR8", which you can find on Amazon for about $70 (or at your local farmer co-op for probably $50). Mix it with methylated seed oil in your tank so it sticks to the crabgrass, and you're good to go. It'll go brown in about 5 days, dead as dirt in 10 days.

I like Drive XLR8 because you can also reseed the area at the same time. It will not harm the new seeds or prevent them from germinating. If you look at my photo on the previous page whereby the grass has been cut, that entire area all the way down along the road was completely infested and overtaken by crabgrass last September. I used Drive XLR8 on it one time and seeded at the same time. Two weeks later the lawn was aerated and I overseeded again with the same tall fescue seed. Now, no signs whatsoever that crabgrass was ever in my lawn to begin with. When I say it was infested with it, I mean it was soooo dense that the lawn mower would bog down with trying to cut it all last August.

I bought a 1/2 gallon of Drive XLR8 last fall. Via backpack sprayer, I coated the entire lawn (it was all over my back yard too then). I have probably 70% of that 1/2 left to use again and again. I have a .39 acre lot that I would say is 1/2 grass. The remaining is the home, driveway, patio, and mulch beds.

My goal for weed management in general is hopefully to just spot-treat here and there when one pops up. Instead of dragging out the backpack sprayer every time, I have now filled 3 hand spray bottles from Home Depot with a mixture for each of my herbicides: One with TZone SE, one with Tenacity, and one with Drive XLR8. I spot a bloom of crabgrass showing up while mowing, it's a one or two squirt of Drive. See a broadleaf weed of any sort, one or two squirts of TZone. See a grassy weed, again one or two squirts with Tenacity. The hope is that I can maintain enough grass density to keep most weeds out naturally in general, but know I'll get a few here and there.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
First cut the grass WITH THE CATCHER... Dont want all those seeds hitting the ground.

110% agree! Bag the first mow for sure to clean up the grass. Also agree that either herbicide will work.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:40 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Good info. What products does everyone like for fungicide and grub prevention?

Old 04-25-2017, 06:13 PM

I'm a fan of granular Caravan G by Syngenta, but that's before I bought a backpack sprayer, so I'm looking at liquids now instead. M2Reston posted up a nice list in another thread that had some good info!

Old 04-26-2017, 06:56 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post

Roger that. Bought some of the hermbicide, and will do a cut with bag as soon as it stops raining.

Most of the weeds I inherited from before there was grass. The grass did a good job filling in from last fall's seeding, but now I just need to kill off the weeds to let it fill in those spots.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:57 PM

Great minds think alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
110% agree! Bag the first mow for sure to clean up the grass. Also agree that either herbicide will work.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:06 PM

//www.city-data.com/forum/47977964-post146.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Good info. What products does everyone like for fungicide and grub prevention?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden