Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 07:35 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,556,796 times

Advertisements

I think I'm going to roll the dice on the preventer this year. I really want to max out the density factor and don't want to risk the preventer interfering with new seed germination. I'm going to throw everything shy of the kitchen sink at it in a few weeks. The Drive XLR8 and Tenacity really impressed me last year with quickly taking out any weed and crabgrass in one shot without harming the grass. My plan is that once I've got the density, then I'll shift into pretection mode with the pre-emergent application. I'm hoping by June 1 I'll be able to hit the yard one time with the post emergent and then follow on with the pre to carry me through the dog days when the crab grass seemed to really swamp me last year. I know it's a gamble, but feel pretty confident that I can keep it at bay until then while blanketing the yard with my concoction for seed growth.

I put that rootmaster B1 on my trees and shrubs last October, including one new 16' green giant tree, and man, has that stuff worked wonders! I've lost nothing this winter, and the laurels and boxwoods have continued to grow like crazy, especially the boxwoods. Really impressed with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 12:16 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times
The rate we are going, I'll be mowing my Bermuda down about a month early this year. It's alreadycoming out of dormancy in a few slots.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:17 PM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
14 Days in a row with snow cover. No mowing here yet and meanwhile Top 10 warmest winters and February and we been in the 50s and 60s a few times past week.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:52 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,015 times
would love for more people to post their routine this upcoming 2017 with links to products used

i live in texas with bermuda grass and it's 80F+ today!!

Old 02-22-2017, 08:42 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,173,762 times
Think I am going to have to break out my mower soon....next 3 days 70' or higher which is about 25' above average. February has been one of the warmest months on record.

Soil temps are the key to crabgrass prevention: Soil Temperature Maps | GreenCast | Syngenta

Lower 48 basks in near-warmest February air in three decades

The weather this February keeps getting weirder. At a time when Arctic blasts usually sweep across the nation and Northern states are covered in snow and ice, historically warm air has flooded the eastern two-thirds of the nation.

All-time February record high temperatures are falling and the air feels more like early May.

Wednesday’s average high temperature over the Lower 48 was forecast to soar to a balmy 59 degrees – “the near warmest February day during the last three decades”, said Ryan Maue, a meteorologist for WeatherBell Analytics.

A stunning 2,805 record high temperatures have occurred across the nation this month compared with just 27 record lows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
The rate we are going, I'll be mowing my Bermuda down about a month early this year. It's alreadycoming out of dormancy in a few slots.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:49 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
No mowing in the plains and mid west this weekend or next week. Blizzard coming to Nebraska, Dakotas, Minnesota and Iowa..

https://twitter.com/NWSDesMoines/sta...32781171331072

Look at these totals. Wow!

https://twitter.com/NWSSiouxFalls/st...71345824509953

Old 02-23-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Think I am going to have to break out my mower soon....next 3 days 70' or higher which is about 25' above average. February has been one of the warmest months on record.
Yep, I'm doing the same on Sunday with the bagger attached to clean it up from the winter debris. Then hitting it with the weed recipe to kill off anything I've picked up over the winter and stop anything currently trying to germinate (I've got clover in the back yard). Then sitting tight for a couple more weeks. Will hit one more time then launch into throwing everything at it but the kitchen sink to get my golf ball test this year. My back yard is the challenge. It was shaded for nearly 15 years prior to me. I had it back for a while last spring, but lost a bit of it during the summer. Soil isn't quite right yet, but getting there.

I've added another ingredient to the sauce this year - a microbial inoculator mix to get the soil conditioned better. My plan is to do the following in this order.

1) coat the yard yet again with tall fescue seeds (add a shade mix to areas that I now know are shaded most of the season via the tree cover).
2) coat the yard in soybean meal.
3) coat the yard in alfalfa meal.
4) spray the yard with the root master b1 hormone to stimulate the roots. (new to my process)
5) spray the yard with the microbial inoculator to promote good soil (new to my process)

6) drink..

So...we'll see what happens. I have apparently sparked a friendly competition in my area of the neighborhood now for the best lawn. For years our lawn was one of the worst because the previous owners gave up on it. Last year it completely turned around to be one of the best, and others apparently took notice and are gearing up to "up their game" now too. This is exactly what I had hoped would happen! Two of my neighbors have already bought their soybean and alfalfa and waiting for me to give them the green light to put it down.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:35 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post

I've still got 8-10"+ of snow on my lawn in some places. No mower for me. Too soon to put the blower away too.

Although I guess I could start picking up supplies and getting ready to go.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:28 PM

You keep that snow BostonMike....you keep that snow far far away from Reston and NC211! :-)

And yes.... the Yankees suck!

Old 02-26-2017, 06:44 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,173,762 times
Saturday was amazing. A little cooler today but back up to near 80' by Wednesday. Continued record breaking warmth.

Sounds like you got a great plan lined up. I keep my seeding to the Fall...got my crabgrass preventer down and focusing on weeds for the spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Yep, I'm doing the same on Sunday with the bagger attached to clean it up from the winter debris. Then hitting it with the weed recipe to kill off anything I've picked up over the winter and stop anything currently trying to germinate (I've got clover in the back yard). Then sitting tight for a couple more weeks. Will hit one more time then launch into throwing everything at it but the kitchen sink to get my golf ball test this year. My back yard is the challenge. It was shaded for nearly 15 years prior to me. I had it back for a while last spring, but lost a bit of it during the summer. Soil isn't quite right yet, but getting there.

I've added another ingredient to the sauce this year - a microbial inoculator mix to get the soil conditioned better. My plan is to do the following in this order.

1) coat the yard yet again with tall fescue seeds (add a shade mix to areas that I now know are shaded most of the season via the tree cover).
2) coat the yard in soybean meal.
3) coat the yard in alfalfa meal.
4) spray the yard with the root master b1 hormone to stimulate the roots. (new to my process)
5) spray the yard with the microbial inoculator to promote good soil (new to my process)

6) drink..

So...we'll see what happens. I have apparently sparked a friendly competition in my area of the neighborhood now for the best lawn. For years our lawn was one of the worst because the previous owners gave up on it. Last year it completely turned around to be one of the best, and others apparently took notice and are gearing up to "up their game" now too. This is exactly what I had hoped would happen! Two of my neighbors have already bought their soybean and alfalfa and waiting for me to give them the green light to put it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden