Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 03:31 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,678,870 times

Advertisements

Oh my yes, cilantro prefers the cooler temps. I am in SC, and cilantro growing past spring will always bolt. It gets too hot. It is definitely a cool weather plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 03:36 PM

708 posts, read 577,059 times
Heck, I can barely get it to grow outside in the summer. Mine get worms on them! I buy it for .49 a bunch every other week. Saves me the frustration.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:58 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,131 times
Cilantro is always the most difficult for me, too!! I usually have a thriving garden regardless of what I plant, but cilantro is a PITA. I'll echo others when it comes to two points: 1. Cilantro likes cool weather - it bolts very quickly once the heat arrives. Sun isn't so much a factor as heat. I've had it do fine in cool sunshine and bolt in seemingly one day in hot shade. Think spring and fall. 2. Deep containers. Every time I try it in a small, shallow(er) container, it does poorly. I threw some into a whiskey barrel last season and it did the best it's ever done, but only lasted a few weeks until the heat came.

I will probably grow it again sometime, but won't make it a staple. It never performs consistently, takes a while to germinate if it germinates at all, and only last for a few weeks when it does do well. It's worth it for me to go to my local grocer and pay $.50 for two huge bundles than waste my time and garden space for something so picky.

It's so delicious, though..

Old 02-14-2017, 09:29 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,837,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Cilantro is always the most difficult for me, too!! I usually have a thriving garden regardless of what I plant, but cilantro is a PITA. I'll echo others when it comes to two points: 1. Cilantro likes cool weather - it bolts very quickly once the heat arrives. Sun isn't so much a factor as heat. I've had it do fine in cool sunshine and bolt in seemingly one day in hot shade. Think spring and fall. 2. Deep containers. Every time I try it in a small, shallow(er) container, it does poorly. I threw some into a whiskey barrel last season and it did the best it's ever done, but only lasted a few weeks until the heat came.

I will probably grow it again sometime, but won't make it a staple. It never performs consistently, takes a while to germinate if it germinates at all, and only last for a few weeks when it does do well. It's worth it for me to go to my local grocer and pay $.50 for two huge bundles than waste my time and garden space for something so picky.

It's so delicious, though..
I can totally relate!!

I will try a deep pot but if it acts weak again, I'm just going to throw in the towel and buy it at the store. However, I never seem to have fresh stuff on hand when I need it the most. Darn it all LOLOLOL

Old 02-14-2017, 01:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
The only time I had luck was when I threw all my seeds in late in the season and it kept growing until past Thanksgiving (zone 6). So I have it in my head that it prefers cooler temperatures.
maybe I will give that a try this year. I have never been able to get it to grow. I buy plants but they just die. All the other herbs I grow live a long healthy life.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:02 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I started some from seed that limped along through the summer. Now that it's living in the chilly basement it's doing pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden