Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 07:13 AM

67 posts, read 86,545 times

Advertisements

I'm having a major issue this spring with weeds growing in my yard. We have small kids and dogs that are often playing in the yard, so we don't want to treat it with harsh chemicals. Our yard is about .25 acre.

Any advice to eliminate the weeds and get my grass healthy & green?? We live in 78737 Austin TX

I have tried the vinegar/salt/dish soap mix but that didn't really work.

Also, does anyone have positive results with ryegrass ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 07:19 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp101 View Post
I'm having a major issue this spring with weeds growing in my yard. We have small kids and dogs that are often playing in the yard, so we don't want to treat it with harsh chemicals. Our yard is about .25 acre.

Any advice to eliminate the weeds and get my grass healthy & green?? We live in 78737 Austin TX

I have tried the vinegar/salt/dish soap mix but that didn't really work.

Also, does anyone have positive results with ryegrass ?
What's your budget? I'm sure there are organic "safer" things to use to get rid of them but I'm not familiar with it since I don't bother wasting money on that. My Backyard has dog results and I don't care. My Front yard gets the chemicals.

If you don't want to spend then I suggest you tell your kids and dogs to stop playing in the yard for 4 weeks. Lay down the strong good stuff and enjoy the results.

I don't have positive results with RyeGrass because it doesn't do well in extreme cold or droughts and heat so that type of grass doesn't do well here but at times when conditions and seasons are fine for it, it does make for a nice thick green heavy foot traffic type of grass.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:21 AM

67 posts, read 86,545 times
Budget isn't an issue.

We have a family member with severe asthma & allergies too. Last time we had a "lawn guy" come to do his spray tactics we ended up in urgent care.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp101 View Post
Budget isn't an issue.

We have a family member with severe asthma & allergies too. Last time we had a "lawn guy" come to do his spray tactics we ended up in urgent care.
Hopefully someone else can chime in on Organic stuff safe for people and pets. I would think you need to stay off the lawn for a week anyway with it.

Meanwhile, try Google and YouTube. Faster results with an answer.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
While it will take a lot of work, the best solution is to dig up each weed by the roots. At the very least, pluck off any flowers before they go to seed, especially dandelions. Straight vinegar on a hot day will kill them, but the grass it hits will also be killed, leaving a lot of bare spots to be reseeded. There are organic weed killers made for lawns but they are expensive, such as A.D.I.O.S. (Amazon for $46/gallon) and there is still no guarantee that someone won't be allergic.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:17 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
While it will take a lot of work, the best solution is to dig up each weed by the roots.
This really is what it will come down to.
---

That said.... the early spring pre-emergents DO work.
And I've had good results with the Bayer hose end spray product. LINK

Use these to isolate where you'll have to do that square foot at a time digging.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:48 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,193,358 times
I am in the Austin area also and had the same issue in my backyard with Bermuda. Weeds took over the yard each spring and the Bermuda wasn't thick enough to crowd them out. One year I even had sunflowers growing back there! I guess some sunflower seeds got deposited by bird poop, I don't know how they got there. I pulled so many weeds that I finally got tennis elbow and had to stop. No matter what people say, pulling weeds is NOT the answer. They will continue to come. There is no end to it. The most important thing you can do is treat the lawn with a pre-emergent spring and fall and get your grass healthy and thick enough that it will crowd out the weeds. When I first bought my house, I tried to treat the yard myself with disastrous results. I know some people can do it with success, but I didn't have the necessary knowledge or "green thumb" to do this.

After one spring of literally knee-high weeds and a fine crop of wild sunflowers (I actually enjoyed those), I finally had enough - I started using Emerald Lawns to treat the weeds and do periodic other treatments throughout the year. I was astounding at how fast the weeds were killed without harming the grass or any other vegetation and the Bermuda began to thicken up. Not sure if this was organic treatments, but you could call and ask them what they use and explain to them your family member's issues and see what they can offer. They also come out between treatments if you call them to spot treat areas that you notice need some extra care (no extra charge).

If they can't help you, I know there are some other local companies that only use organic substances to treat weeds and lawns. You can google it and easily find them (or Yelp). I found them when I was doing research on these companies trying to decide who to go with. I remember some required contracts and payment upfront for the year, which I didn't want to do. That's how I ended up with Emerald. They bill after each treatment and you can skip treatments if you want to. It turned out to be a good choice as I've used them for years in two different houses and have been very pleased with the customer service and the results.

Or... you could call the Natural Gardner with John Dromgoole radio talk show on KLBJ AM and ask him! This guy is local and knows everything about organic growing/care in the Austin area, and has a local organic nursery in Austin. This is a call-in talk show, and he takes calls from listeners about how to solve a problem (like yours). I think it's on Saturday mornings. Or you could contact him though his website or nursery and ask. This is where I would start if I were you and had your problem. He can set you on the right path. His website: Gardening Naturally with John Dromgoole | NewsRadio KLBJ, 590AM and 99.7FM Austin Texas

Old 03-07-2017, 09:03 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
One thing we are forgetting is that for weed control chemicals to be allowed for use in residential yards they have already been proven to be very safe if used properly, which usually means at the right concentrations, waiting times, etc.

It would be extremely unlikely that someone would have an allergic response (histamines) due to a registered lawn herbicide. If you have a strong reaction after something is sprayed, the landscaper might have sprayed fertilizers at the same time that were caustic to sensitive noses or throats.

If you do hire someone, make sure they know what they are doing. If you are still not sure, ask your local college for the Agricultural Extension Agent to look over the protocol the technician will use.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
One thing we are forgetting is that for weed control chemicals to be allowed for use in residential yards they have already been proven to be very safe if used properly, which usually means at the right concentrations, waiting times, etc.
Yup. That was one thing I pointed out in my original post. Maybe not for 4 weeks but just stop using the yard for a week or so until the stuff gets absorbed. But its one thing to walk on it with shoes and another for paws to be on it. DO NOT LET PETS onto the yard after putting down chemicals. Its not safe for them. UNLESS you watch them. make sure they don't lick their paws that day, or just wash them. Make sure they don't burn either.

I guess we should ask OP if this is his/her backyard or front yard that they want to kill weeds on.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:44 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,003 times
Best defense against weeds is a healthy lawn. And a healthy lawns begins with healthy soil.

Pre-emergents help quite a bit. The best time to apply preM is toward the end of the previous growing season. If you missed that, by all means put some down now if the forsythia is in bloom down there but keep it in your pocket that you will have better success next spring if you put it down this fall (you may need to buy some to store for six or eight months as the big box places tend to only sell in the spring ... better landscaping places sell in the fall).

Sounds like you need a post-emergent now.

I am not as familiar with warm-season grasses such as Bermuda but if their track record for northern grasses is any indication, the community of folks who regularly contribute to the AroundTheYard forum are:

https://aroundtheyard.com/forums2/vi...f28b54d73fac4f

Last edited by WoodburyWoody; 03-07-2017 at 11:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden